The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Any other year-round bloomers?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Amany on March 21, 2006 02:40 AM
Hello
Are there any other plants, besides African Violets and peace lillies, that will bloom well all year?

I keep seeing kalanchoes. Is anyone familiar with those?
by barleychown on March 21, 2006 02:43 AM
I don't have any kalanchoes, but my cane begonias bloom year-round. I have a few rex begonias in the kitchen window, as well. They rarely bloom, but the leaves are so bright and cheery.

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Amany on March 21, 2006 05:23 AM
Thanks Barley. Bright and cheery is definitely a good thing. :-)

Nevermind about the kalanchoes. There's something posted about kalanchoes already that I didn't see before.
by barleychown on March 21, 2006 06:28 AM
No problem. Have you also considered something like a spider plant?

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Amy R. on March 21, 2006 08:18 AM
Certain varieties of begonias can be profuse bloomers. I have an Angel Wing begonia that has been going absolutely bananas for months now. In fact, I don't know how to make it stop blooming.
by Ming Lover on March 21, 2006 12:31 PM
Those are all good suggestions. Jasmine is another plant that flowers steadily for me throughout the year. Another thought is to grow a variety of plants to stagger bloom times.
by Amany on March 22, 2006 12:47 AM
I appreciate all your suggestions. I'll start looking up plant care information for them and then I'll take a trip to the local nursery.

Thanks!
by Buglady on March 22, 2006 01:31 AM
i got my cyclamen to bloom for 2 years straight, before i went out of town and it didn't get watered...

also my pelargoniums have been blooming very nicely this winter.

Keep in mind most plants are not designed to bloom all the time. It takes a lot of energy and many times plants indoors do not have the ideal growing conditions.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by tkhooper on March 22, 2006 07:50 PM
I overwintered portulaca inside and it's bloomed everytime it's gotten enough water. It does get leggy though.

-
 -
by TomR on March 23, 2006 09:18 AM
Consider growing Impatiens year round! Take a few cuttings in the fall and grow them during the winter inside in a South or west window! I do!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: