The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fountain grass

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Foundation planting ?| Next thread: Four Legged Pests... »
Back to Thread index
by Lizzie on October 24, 2004 01:41 AM
I have 1 pot of burgandy fountain grass to plant near our pond. It is about 4' high and maybe 3' around. Will it get much bigger after I plant it? [flower]
by afgreyparrot on October 24, 2004 05:13 AM
I don't know...but wish I had some, too!
I have zebra grass, and it spreads like wildfire! After a few years you have to get a backhoe just to dig it up! But, I don't know anything about fountain grass. Does it look like zebra grass? Tall, with big plumes???

Welcome to the forum!

Someone will be able to help you with the fountain grass here, I'm sure!

Nice to meet you!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Lizzie on October 24, 2004 06:15 AM
Thank you so much for the speedy reply. No this type of grass does not spread. Out here in Calif. they use it in landscapes of all types. It is a beautiful, burgandy color. I was just wondering how much the plant will grow or if anyone else has it in their landscape.

Thanks for the warm welcome, too.

Lizzie [flower]
by NickN on October 25, 2004 08:15 PM
Lizzie,
Yes it will get larger.Simply split the root ball with a shovel and plant two or give one away.As they grow larger,the middle will die out and you'll be left with a circle of fountain grass.You'll need to do this every few years.
In the spring,take some duct tape and wrap the grass at the desired cutting height.Then you can trim them back easily.They'll quickly grow back,but you'll have a fuller plant.
by Lizzie on October 26, 2004 12:47 AM
Thank you for an excellent idea. I will wrap duct tape around that beautiful grass and clip it back. You are too kind. [flower]
by pinky on October 27, 2004 05:22 PM
Hi;
I love grasses; can you tell me whether this Burgandy fountain grass and Zebra grass will grow in cold country?
IN LOVE AND LIGHT

pinky

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Foundation planting ?| Next thread: Four Legged Pests... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: