The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mini Rose Bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Tulip on March 17, 2006 10:16 AM
Hello all.. I was wondering if anyone could help me out.. I just got a dried up mini Rose plant from my work.. it seems to have some life left in it because theres light green leaves at the top.. that look like new growth..Any suggestions?

~Tulip~
by tkhooper on March 17, 2006 08:46 PM
Plant it outside. That probably sounds like I'm kidding but really I'm not. They die for me inside but do great if they are outside in the ground. Mine also like epsom salt scratched into the soil around her. I have a red one that I dearly love. I hope to get a bunch of seeds off of her this year. She has quadrupled in size since last year when I bought her.

-
 -
by heidi_ho80 on March 17, 2006 11:32 PM
I agree with tk. I got one of those a couple summers ago and planted it in my landscaping. It has also tripled in size. I use that "rose food" I am just now learning about the Epsom salt thing I will try that this year. I also trim the blooms A LOT it Blooms all summer just like my big roses.
by Tulip on March 17, 2006 11:36 PM
thanks guys.. but honestly I cant plant it outside.. I live in the north and it gets up to -40 here.. today its -30.. I wonder if I replant it into a bigger pot? and Ill pick up some rose food.. I just hope I can make her work..what kind of light should I put her in? What about the water'?

~Tulip~
by Will Creed on March 18, 2006 04:34 AM
Hi Tulip,

Hybrid roses are not very hardy plants as they are bred to push out a flourish of blooms at point-of-sale and then languish thereafter, even when they are moved outside.

Inside they suffer from not enough direct sun and from temps that are too warm. All you can do is to keep it on your sunniest windowsill, try to provide cool nighttime temps, and water it as soon as the top half-inch of soil gets dry. Moving it into a larger pot will not help and will probably add to is woes. Likewise, fertilizer will not help.

Do what you can, be accept the limitations this plant imposes on you.

Will Creed
Interior landscaper
by tkhooper on March 18, 2006 10:20 PM
Your right -30 is way to cold. Do you have a really bright enclosed porch? Or some sheltered spot where there is lots of sun but it gets warmth somehow? I know mine survived down into the teens but that's about as cold as it gets here. I lost a lot of miniature roses before I finally found out that they do much better outside. I can be really stubborn. Good luck with yours.

-
 -
by Mrs.Bradley on March 20, 2006 02:36 AM
hey,Tulip [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower]
heres what I do for my indoor mini roses... [Embarrassed] I place them under a lamp with one of those uv type bulbs and every morning when I wake up,I turn on the lamp and keep it on for AT LEAST 4-6 hours.
sometimes I turn on a warm(not hot)fan and run it towards the roses from about 8-10 feet away to promote air circulation and the warm temps. that roses like. be VERY careful with the fertilizer because I recently lost 1 and three quarters of my rose plants. [shocked] they are sensitive.(moreso than my out door roses)so dilute the fertilizer well.

-
 -
by ladystressout on March 22, 2006 11:24 PM
I heard spraying rubbing alcohol on roses controls something but cannot remember and also was I told full strength or mix with water can anyone help me out here?It may be to contro aphids?
by Tulip on March 22, 2006 11:48 PM
Hopefully the spot I picked for my mini rose bush will be ok..since it was so dried up when I got it.. it has a bunch of stems comming out of the soild with no leaves on them.. should I cut them down? There are new baby green leaves sprouting on the top which is good news.. I just want to make it grown.. I dont even care if I get roses out of this one.. just make it healthy let it grow.

~Tulip~
by Sorathien on March 23, 2006 09:24 AM
mini roses are not indoor plants, even though they're sold as such. they need to be outside.

cut off all the dead branches and water it well, and plant it in a nice sunny spot.
by dodge on March 30, 2006 08:41 AM
MINI ROSES........
SOMEONE GAVE ME A HARDY RED AND WHITE STRIPY LAST SUMMER, I SEE LOADS OF NEW LEAVES POPPING OUT NOW.....WE ARE ZONE 6......SPRING IS JUST STARTING, AND IT IS LOVING THE SUN RIGHT NOW.

THAT IS THE FIRST MINI TO SURVIVE HERE.
;O)
GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.

DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum