The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP MY CAT PALM

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by bridgesfree on March 16, 2006 04:11 AM
I have a cat palm that I bought about 2 months ago. It was about 3' tall and beautifully green and lush. I repotted it immediately into a bigger pot but didn't touch the roots. They are pretty root-bound but I was hoping the bigger pot would help it. I water it about every other week and it is starting to turn brown and sickly looking. I have another one that looks just fine... can you help me to know how to take care of it? How often should I water it? Should I divide it and break up the roots? What kind of light should I put it in? Should I cut the brown off? Is there any hope? Thanks.
by Will Creed on March 18, 2006 05:03 AM
Cat palms do not tolerate dryness even for a brief period. They also prefer to be potbound. I have one on a wick system that wicks water up from below so that the soil stays constantly moist at all times. It always surprises me just how much water it uses every week.

I had one lapse with mine, allowing it to get too dry, and it immediately developed many yellow fronds and became infested with spider mites. I trimmed off the yellowed fronds and treated the mites with a soap spray. Since then, it has made a nice comeback. I have never repotted it even though it is quite rootbound.

It also helps to have it close to a window that faces north or east.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Will Creed
Interior landscaper

Active Garden Forum