The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hello from an owner of a new Pencil Plant.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Sharon,Florida on October 16, 2004 08:55 PM
This is a great new site for a me, a really new garden lover who has a yard and doesn't know how to take care of it. I have let nature take care of most of my stuff but I bought the first plant and need to know how to take care of it. The common name is "Pencil Plant" and think the correct term is Euphorbia tirucalli which I am guessing is in the same family as a Crown of Thorns. I have it on the north side of the house under a tree but I don't know what to feed it. Also can someone direct me to a site that has a picture of this plant so I can be sure that is what I have? Thanks for your help. [wayey]
by Jiffymouse on October 16, 2004 09:12 PM
hi sharon, welcome to the garden helper! normally, i would either move this post, or ask you to ask your question in another area, but for some reason, today, i decided just to answer your question.

I don't know if there are any pictures of pencil plants on this site (i didn't get that far because my dial-up connection is being screwy) but if you go here you will find information on pencil plants in an exchange between catlover (one of the hostesses) and one of our late members (who is terribly missed). Also, if you go here you will see pictures of 2 kinds of pencil plants (both belonging to our missed member) as well as a host of other plants. I hope this helps, and welcome again.
by catlover on October 25, 2004 06:09 PM
Hi Sharon and Welcome to The Garden Helper [wayey]

I have a Euphorbia Tirucalli and wanted to let you know they can become GIGANTO TREE size....I have mine in a pot in FULL sun....because I sure don't want it getting THAT big. Remember the plant sap is very poisonous....and if you rub up against it .... [shocked] no, no, no!!! So if you have any pets...be careful.

I put a link here that will help I.D. your cactus. As far as fertilizing...I very rarely fertilize and when I do it is with a product called Cactus Juice..1-7-6 and I use it half strength.

Remember this plant can get bigger than your house to the size of a giganto tree.

Euphorbia Tirucalli - Pencil Plant Cacti

Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by catlover on October 25, 2004 06:13 PM
If you look at the pix at the lower left on the link...it will show one about half the size of what it CAN get!....don't know how long that would take but oh my!!!

I was also reading something awhile back that stated they can drip the sap when the leaves fall etc....so you don't want to put a bench under the thing.....and if you trim it when above your head...please be careful...the sap runs out pretty quickly so you need to get out of the way....sure wouldn't want that in your eyes.

Not trying to scare you....I love mine but I still will keep it in a pot!!!
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by catlover on October 25, 2004 06:17 PM
Oh yeah...informing you I am moving this topic to Plants and Flowers!
Have a great day.
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: