The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Variegated Peperomia (Baby Rubber Plant)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Amany on March 12, 2006 02:05 AM
Hello

I have a new baby rubber plant. I've read that they are succulents. Should I allow it to get as dry as I let my snake plant get before watering it?
by Jiffymouse on March 12, 2006 02:54 AM
Amany, typically the plant that is called "rubber plant" is a ficus elastica, although I have heard the peperomia called that too.

the care of the peperomia is pretty close to that of your sanseveria (snake plant), although i wouldn't let the peperomia dry out quite as much. do you have a solid leaf or a varigated one?
by Erich on March 12, 2006 02:59 AM
The rubber tree prefers bright sunlight but not hot temperatures. It has a high tolerance for drought, but prefers humidity and thrives in wet, tropical conditions.

You should should let the soil dry a bit between waterings and you can also lightly mist the plant daily.
by Amany on March 12, 2006 03:30 AM
Thanks for your help. It's the variegate type. It's leaves are just beautiful.
by Jiffymouse on March 12, 2006 05:05 AM
[Smile] i just got one last weekend with varigated leaves, and you are right, it is beautiful!
by Mandyz on March 13, 2006 04:07 AM
I have a peperomia obtusifolia as well, although not with variegated leaves.
I let mine dry slightly between waterings, but as far as I've learned it is not a succulent proper. Additionally, half a year ago I didn't even know what mine was, and I was likely over watering it and then not watering enough. There was no change - it is very tolerant.
I find that they make great cuttings. I was given my original "baby rubber plant" (not to be confused with a rubber plant, because they are not related) by my aunt, and the first time one of its branches fell off (from a cat playing too close) I immersed it in water. It rooted very easily.
Now I start cuttings all the time (when "baby" need some grooming) and give them to friends. They are very easy to care for and look gorgeous.
I should watch for a variegated leaf variety. I would love to have more of these.
by Amany on March 16, 2006 12:06 PM
Thanks so much Mandyz.

I think I will eventually try to propagate as well. I'm having a hard time finding another variegated one that looks as healthy as the one I have.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: