The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My long-suffering Gardenia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Lakeside Lady on August 17, 2005 02:53 AM
I'm back again with my problem-child gardenia. Over the summer I've been keeping it outdoors near a fountain and somewhat shaded. The soil is always moist. Of all the beautiful, plump buds it had from January to July, only three of them bloomed. And the once gorgeous, shiny, green leaves are now dark brown along the tips and the edges. The plant's few buds are puny, and it just isn't looking very well these days. Anyone out there got a remedy for it? Thanks, Jeannie

Jeannie
by BBMacpie on August 18, 2005 04:38 AM
Hi Jeannie, the dark brown edges of the leaves make me think that maybe the plant has received too much water. You're saying "the soil is always moist"? Is it in a pot now? Have you already tried to get it out and see the roots (check if they're healthy, I mean).

BBMacpie
by Lakeside Lady on August 18, 2005 02:03 PM
No, I haven't checked its roots, but I will. What can I expect the roots to look like if it is indeed getting too much water?

Jeannie
by BBMacpie on August 18, 2005 09:11 PM
The roots should be white or yellow, not brown or dark. They do not seem rotten and flabby, but firm and hard and fleshy. If you find the roots rotten you have to cut them until you leave only the healthy ones, using scissors or a knife disinfecting the blades every cut with a flame. Then leave the plant for one day in shade with its roots in open air. The day after you can repot the plant, after having changed the soil. Do NOT water for a day or two. Let me know what you have found!

BBMacpie
by ninniwinky on August 18, 2005 09:41 PM
There is one thing I would like to add, but my success could be just pure luck, since this is my first year at gardening, but... I have a gardenia that is THRIVING, I live in NY and it is Inside, but ever since I stopped watering it, it is growing Beautifully! I water that plant about once sometimes twice a week, and I only give it about a half of cup of water for about a 14" pot. Just thought I would add that [Smile]

Ninni
by papito on August 18, 2005 11:01 PM
Hi Jeannie,

Please check this link for additional info.

Growing Gardenia

from the same link:
quote:
Gardenias are fussy plants. They like to be given ample water, ample feeding and ample warmth. The soil they are to be grown in must be acidic, otherwise the leaves turn brown and the buds drop. They need regular treatment with iron and doses of aluminum sulfate to keep the soil acid and keep iron chlorosis from turning the leaves a pale color. Feed them monthly during the growing season with an acid food, one prepared for camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons. Many successful gardeners use Miracle-Gro or Miracid as a foliar spray and as an aid in correcting iron deficiencies.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Lakeside Lady on August 19, 2005 02:40 AM
Many, many thanks for your educated tips. I will apply them starting today. Jeannie

Jeannie

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: