The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When to water and fertilize an African Violet

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Amany on March 10, 2006 07:23 AM
Hello
I just bought my first two AVs from the greenhouse near my job. Gorgeous! Anyway, I need to know how often they should be fertilized. I purchased the liquid drop AV made by Schulz. I figured that I would fertilize them the same way I'd water. From the bottom. Should I be fertilizing every time I water? Or should I do it every other watering? Also, I've read that AVs need to dry out before watering. I've also read that they need to stay moist. Which is right?
by Patty S on March 11, 2006 12:56 AM
As I understand it Amany, you should only use half the recommended amount of commercial AV food, or they might burn. I only have a couple of them, so I'm not the expert here. Maybe Barleychown (the Resident AV Queen) will pop in & give you a quick 101. Good luck with them! [thumb]

-
 -
by joclyn on March 11, 2006 02:09 PM
i've got my av's in pots specifically for av's. they are self-watering. the soil/plant goes in an unglazed pot that fits into a larger, glazed pot that you fill with water.

i've got the liquid fertilizer too...i've never actually put any in the water, lol. they're doing just fine!! i've got them on a plant stand that has a light (full spectrum) on a timer.
by Amany on March 11, 2006 02:33 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate it.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: