The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tulip & lilies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Tulip| Next thread: Tulip head, is this normal? »
Back to Thread index
by sybil on October 14, 2004 05:59 AM
I have just read the topic on bulb planting but still have a query... [dunno]
It says to cover the bulb w/dirt and then put some plant food on top of that.
I have been advised to put bone meal in the hole ...then put the bulb in on top of that.

What is the right way to plant these bulbs???
Thanks for your input [thinker]

Old age ain't no place for sissies
by sidheblooms on October 14, 2004 07:14 AM
hi there...what a nice time to plan for your showy spring display! sure gives you something to think about when the snow is on the ground. just knowing all that fabulous color is waiting paitently to emerge from the soil [Love]

the best thing about bulbs, is that you can dig a hole, plop them in, cover them up, and the WILL grow! i only practice organic methods, so i never dust for fungicide, or fertilize. mine are amazing every year. and who cares if one or two dont germinate..its bound to happen.

i have though, tried using bone meal though, and i think there was a noticibale improvement in the blooms. i dug the hole, put a sprinkle, and worked it in a bit with my finger tips. then proceded to plant the bulb, cover, and water. i always mulch (with leafs) a wee bit too...rememering where roughly i placed the bulbs.

so good luck, and dont fret, they know just what to do!

and remember, try to do mass plantings for a really showy effect. i have even placed 50 in an area for a real show stopper!! avoid planting in a structured manner. place them close, and in round groups..it makes for a better effect....just a hint!

have fun [flower]

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by sybil on October 14, 2004 04:20 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions..I am so new at this, any type of help is greatly appreciated.
I am only starting out with 30 or so bulbs so if i do screw it up, it won't be that bad. I only have a very small planting area as I am in an apartment type condo. But if all goes well, this spring will be a great riot of color... [flower] [flower] [flower]

Old age ain't no place for sissies
by weezie13 on October 15, 2004 05:48 PM
Sybil,
What Sidheblooms said is just about what I would say...
I'm organic too, so I don't know about the other's either,
I use compost mostly. and blood and bone meal...

The only thing I would add to the mix here, is....
make sure you think about any future plantings and don't make the mistake I did...
I have a 60ft bed... and got bulb fever the first year...I had wanted a mirror image of some things, and I did a wandering stone path thru the garden and it was for accessability as well to get to the middle of the bed for the path..
Anyhow, I planted this and that, and OMG it was beauuuuuuuuuutiful when it all came up, still is as a matter of fact...butttttttttttttttttttttt..
When all the blooms die back, it's that time you need to think about..or how to work it so you can do it a way that's easy for you...
My problem is, when the bulbs die back... and come end of spring~beginning of summer, I can't plant much, because of all the bulbs I put in..
you can't dig them up, they need to stay quiet during the summmer to come back up for spring again..I had a hard time squeezing things in, in between the bulbs, wasn't much room..for digging the dirt ball area...I had to find some things like Johnny~Jump~Up's and shallow rooting plants.
Good luck!
I don't start any annuals over it either, have thought about it, but it's way in my back "40" and I don't get out there to water much..

So, do a little thinking on the bulbs and where to plant them, and leave yourself some digging area to plant some other plants/flowers in there as the bulbs die back!!!

Hope this helps you a little better with some added info the mix!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tulip| Next thread: Tulip head, is this normal? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: