The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Java Red Weigelas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: jaundice!| Next thread: Jeanne got the rest »
Back to Thread index
by spotalot on October 10, 2004 06:33 PM
We have four weigelas (we just moved two of them since they were planted very close together)that have become very rangy and wild-looking and do not flower very well. They are in full sun. We have not been pruning (we figure they are only about 3 years old) since we really don't know what to do with them. I have now read that you are supposed to prune 1/3 of the oldest growth to the ground. Will this help them fill out? Should we also cut back some of the longer branches to help shape them a little (I know they are supposed to be a little "wild"). When is the best time to prune? We just transplanted two of them- should we give them time before pruning to prevent too much shock? What can we do to promote more flowering?
by sidheblooms on October 11, 2004 07:19 AM
hi there..

it is always tricky to tell when to prune them. i also heard that you can thin them out by taking out 1/3 of the canes, and removing any wild shoots, which are making it lopsided or messy and this will help out by giving the plant a shape. if you wait until next year after it flowers, as recommended, it may leave for another whole year of looking not-so-good. if it were mine, i would thin it out, give it some shape, and concentrate on getting it to where i want it. it may not flower as well, but it will be in better condition for you to start pruning it ever summer, after bloom. if it means looking great in the future...its worth it.

they are a great looking plant, and i know they can bloom for months and months...great addition to any garden. is yours red with pink flowers? those are my favorite.

good luck, and let us know what you do

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by Bess of the Piedmont on October 14, 2004 11:52 PM
I agree, that you usually prune them just after they have flowered. However, it sometimes helps a shrub to prune it after a transplant. Not too much, of course, but a third would be fine. I'd go ahead and prune the transplants now.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: jaundice!| Next thread: Jeanne got the rest »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: