The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Problem with Pansy Seeds.....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: problem with my phlox| Next thread: problems w/ misc cacti »
Back to Thread index
by Storm on August 08, 2005 05:09 AM
Okay, here's the deal (I hope I am putting this in the right forum)

About 5 weeks ago we planted some pansy seeds in tiny little 1 inch starter pots. Most of them came up, but they have just sat there and done nothing in all that time. They each have a tiny stem and two leaves on them.

Any suggestions on what to do to help them grow??

At first until they came up we covered them with plastic and then gently got them used to having some sun on them. Now they are out in the sun most of the day and are doing nothing. We are not overwatering or underwatering. Just keeping them moist.

Help please...

[dunno]
by weezie13 on August 08, 2005 05:16 AM
It's been waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too hot
here from my seeded pansy's too,
they're just sitting there.....
but they did the same thing last year too...
Mine over wintered nicely, and I repotted
them in the spring and had wonderful
antique colored flowers...
when it got hot again, they went "South"

I can't keep pansy's by my house gardens either..
wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to hot for them....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Storm on August 08, 2005 07:58 AM
So Weezie, are you saying I should just not worry about them and let them sit there over the winter?

There is only about a week that we get snow here so I can bring them in for that time I suppose.

I'm glad this happens to others too though. I just couldn't figure why they are just sitting there looking stupid.

Thanks Weezie.... [thumb]
by Storm on August 08, 2005 08:03 AM
So should I put the tray of pots in the shade then?
by weezie13 on August 08, 2005 11:05 AM
Storm to be sincerely honest,
I didn't do a darn thing to them..
They sat in six pack containers...
I actually hoped for the best
and let them be..
*I do know where they were gets good
snow coverage...
And that's a plus in winter time protection...

What growing zone did you say you were again???

Believe it or not, I picked pansy's one winter,
one bouquet a month one year here,
it was such a mild winter...
Pansy's love the cold.. and don't like the heat...

If you only get snow one week of snow,
I might just leave'em...
How many do you have..???..
You know me, I experiment...
Try some out and don't do a thing to them..
some bring in to a cool garage, some leave
somewhere's else.. and see which gives you the best results with the least work...
but remember, each winter is different..
One maybe colder or more winter winds, or one maybe less snow but fridgid temps??
They may just completely go away with toooooooo cold of freezing/thawing temps???

Mother Natures' funny about that..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Cricket on August 08, 2005 11:14 AM
Storm,

You are on Vancouver Island, right? Pansies will grow and bloom here outdoors throughout the winter. Don't worry about them, they should start picking up as the weather gets cooler. Last year my pansies continued to bloom even after that nasty January storm and cold snap we had. Brrrr!
by Meg on August 08, 2005 05:56 PM
The first year we lived here, I planted pansies. She told me, if we got snow, they'd flatten down under the snow.. then in the spring, when it was all gone, they'd pop up. Sure enuough, that's what they did. And this year as well. That first year I had them, we had quite a winter, with a LOT of snow. I was shocked to see my pansies, and a LOT of them, when Spring arrived. My pansies have hung around this summer, despite the nasty heat, but they are about all done for now. A few blooms here & there, but mostly, already went to seed, scattered about, and dead foliage now. I hope the seeds come up next year! [flower]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by weezie13 on August 08, 2005 10:45 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh, where those the
"Pumpkin' Pansy's"????????? [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Cool]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Karrie on August 09, 2005 08:30 AM
I want pansies next year lord I love em but have never grown my own, I am thinking I should sow mine now for next year is that correct the package said in early spring, but from what I can find on the net looks like I might be best to plant the seeds now for next year. Any suggestions guys and gals?

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Meg on August 09, 2005 09:04 AM
WEEZIEEEEEE!!!!! Noooooo.. really, I *had* pansies my first year in this house. That was 3 years ago..lol. We moved in the first week of August, 2002. I found a nursery up the road, and they had flats of pansies, and I couldn't resist. I had no idea what I was doing. I kinda dug a trench, never tried to keep it weeded, and it was kinda.. recessed? It was kinda set down, below what would be level ground, and it made them a bit harder to see..lol. But *I* knew they were there, and I loved thier pretty colors. They sprang back up in the spring, after we'd had a hard winter, but like I said, no mulch, and no barriers of any kind, and eventually, the weeds took it over. I never got anymore from them.. I think whatever may have wanted to grow from seeds that dropped, were choked out by the weeds. [Roll Eyes] I found ONE lonely pansy a year later.. and it was a few feet away, and under my deck! [Big Grin] Hubby was weedwacking, and hit it. *sigh* Oh well.

I can't wait to see if all these from this past year reseed themselves! [flower]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: problem with my phlox| Next thread: problems w/ misc cacti »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: