The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hibiscus Splitting??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Hibiscus Shrub| Next thread: Hibiscus trouble »
Back to Thread index
by Swendy on August 06, 2005 06:30 AM
I currently have 4 hardy hibiscus and 2 tropical...definitely looking to grow the hardy number. I know that you can get the seeds from the plants and possibly get a different color plant, but can you split the ones you have to keep the same plant going?? I have tried to find out if it is possible but haven't been able to find anything so any help would be great.
Thanks in advance!!!

True friendship is like a rose: we don't realize its beauty until it fades. -Evelyn Loeb
by Cricket on August 06, 2005 09:43 AM
This site has some detailed information on hibiscus propagation. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hibiscus.org
by Swendy on August 06, 2005 11:22 PM
Thanks for that...I will have to see if I can get it to work.

True friendship is like a rose: we don't realize its beauty until it fades. -Evelyn Loeb
by mike57 on August 08, 2005 05:39 AM
[wayey] HI Swendy your hardy hibiscus can be de vided by cutting the plant in half just stick your shovel in the middle of the plant between the stalks and cut it in half straight down with the shovel then dig out from around the plant about a foot all the way around.this will give you 2 plants pop them up out of the ground.then just replant them where you would like them to grow.
I've done this many times with my hardy hibiscus.
your tropical hibiscus will have to come from cuttings.take cuttings from the plants about 8 or 10 inches long remove all the leafs but the top leafs and cut the cuttings at just below the Leaf nodes. then dip or rub where you cut them with rooting hormone and make a hole in the soil in a nice big flower pot then place the cutting in the hole or holes then pack the dirt around the cutting do quite a few in the same pot as some may die.keep the soil moist not soked.and place them in the shade.in about 6 to 8 weeks you should have some starting to root.then you cant plant them in pots where you intend for them to grow.hope this helps and good luck with your hibiscus.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hibiscus Shrub| Next thread: Hibiscus trouble »
Back to Thread index