The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Seeding? Are we there yet, Ma? Dad?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: seed variety for gravely soil| Next thread: Seedless Fruit »
Back to Thread index
by Carly on September 26, 2004 04:50 PM
I know - we're just closing summer down and I'm rarin' to go again.

I have 3 ice cube trays full of seeds I've been collecting.

My rose of sharon pieces (seeds and bits of the dried buds) are in a strainer and they seem dry enough.

The reason they're in a strainer is cause I accidentally spilled some water on 'em.

My question is this:

I will be sowing the seeds indoors in little planters - does it really matter when I start them? Can I do any of 'em now? Eh, Ma? Eh, Dad?

Can I? Can I?

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by weezie13 on September 26, 2004 06:05 PM
Carly,
Are they a winter hardy "rose of sharon"?

And where are you starting them???
Inside? Outside? or testing and doing both?

If it's a winter hardy variety, they probably can be planted right now, out side, *as Mother Nature would do when dropping seeds from the dying plants right now, this time of year*

However my first thoughts to starting something indoors now is what would they look like by spring time?? [shocked] Alot of times some seeds, if started too early, even in the spring, can get awefully spindly by the time it comes to actually putting them outdoors, because of the sun and amounts of sun and suntime.

Unless you have a heated greenhouse, my first answer would be to wait.../????
I am not a expert on seeds, did my first growing this year, but not totally qualified to give you a yes or absolutely no answer....

If you have enough seeds and want to experiment, try it 3 different ways...plant some in pots out side right now, and throw some leaf mould around the bases of the pots outside...then do some indoors now, and save some for the usual spring time seed starting time and see what happens....
That's usually my own personal theory on doing seeds, or plants, I usually do tests and see what the out come would be, the easiest method and the more sprouting and living healthy plants method would be~and go with the those results???

Keep us posted [gabby] if you do!!! You know we love up dates!!!

Weezie
(**Keep this same thread going if you do, and that way anyone following the info can get it all in one post!!! [thumb] I'd love to hear about your adventures!!!)

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Carly on September 26, 2004 07:21 PM
Well, those two R of S bushes that I picked from are ones I seem to remember as being out there last year, so yes, I guess they're winter hardy.

Maybe I will do that - put some outside now and keep some back to do up in early spring.

Thanks for your quick answer.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: seed variety for gravely soil| Next thread: Seedless Fruit »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: