The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Houseplant pest ID?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Marajane on February 18, 2006 03:02 PM
My poor plant is covered in what appears to be some sort of "rust", and upon further inspection I found a bit of honeydew. I sprayed the philodendron down with Brand X, both above and underside, but now I am wondering if perhaps the condition is caused by something else. Any ideas???

-
by Cricket on February 18, 2006 03:27 PM
Hi Marajane,

I don't know what is "rusting" your plant but the shiny leaves remind me my plants are way overdue for a Brand X cleaning. Thanks for the reminder! [Smile]
by cinta on February 18, 2006 03:30 PM
It looks like sunburn to me. Rust would rub off. Does it rub off?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by MissJamie on February 18, 2006 03:31 PM
did you maybe get water on the leaves and have it put in direct sunlight? sometimes if you get water on the leaves,etc of a plant and the plant is in direct sunlight, the water will act like a mirror reflecting the sunlight and it will burn the leaves therefore giving the plant rusty looking spots on the leaves. sorry I couldn't help much!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Marajane on February 19, 2006 01:46 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I suppose it is possible that it is sunburn (blame is on dh for watering the plant outside), but for some reason I thought the "rust", burns, what have you, were growing. Will wait and see!
by peppereater on February 19, 2006 02:00 AM
Just a thught, but sometimes salts build up in potted plant soil. See if the soil surface has a bit of whitish stuff on it. Submerge the whole pot in the sink or a bucket and let it saturate completely, then drain. This will leach out excess salts. Then cut back on fertilizing.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by margaret e. pell on February 19, 2006 06:47 AM
I use a foliar fertilizer spray on some of my plants that want it, and one day I squirted my big philodendron that looks a lot like yours. BAD idea! It's now got brown spots on its leaves where ever the fertilizer-water hit. Any chance anything like that could have happened to yours?

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Marajane on February 19, 2006 08:46 AM
I don't think so, as I do not use fertilizer. But thanks for the suggestions!
by Will Creed on March 19, 2006 10:12 AM
I endorse the sunburn theory. Keep DH away from it and it should not be a problem in the future.

The stickiness is probably a natural sap secretion that this Philo often produces.

Active Garden Forum