The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lipstick Plant No Blooms - Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Rosepetal on February 11, 2006 11:31 AM
My lipstick plant is about 4 years old and beautiful even with no blooms. Can any one tell me why it doesn't bloom. It is getting lots of light and is in excellent condition. What can I do or what am I doing wrong?

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Karamy on February 12, 2006 04:38 AM
Lipstick plant is unlikely to bloom if it isn't a bit root-bound...so if you've been moving it to a larger pot every year that could be the problem. In the future, don't move to a bigger pot until the pot is full of roots, with not much soil left.

Also, what is your fertilizing regimen? Lipstick plants should be fed with a food for blooming plants...African Violet food is perfect as they're in the same plant family, gesneriads. But don't over-do the fertilizing, dilute to half the dose recommended on package.

Karamy
by Rosepetal on February 12, 2006 01:18 PM
Thanks Karamy I'll try what you suggest. I haven't repotted it for ages but I will try the fertilizer.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Cricket on February 12, 2006 05:19 PM
You probably won't see blooms until late summer/early fall which is when lipstick plants usually bloom.
by connie mounsey on February 18, 2006 09:58 PM
My lipstick plant has been blooming since January. I have had it for almost 3 years now and have not repotted it. I did trim it back after it quit blooming last year and put the cuttings back into the pot. I dipped them in rooting hormone. I water all my plants with my water from my fish tanks so I figure that is why it is an early bloomer this year. Mine also has beans hanging down off the bottom in several places.

Without faith life has no meaning.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: