The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mother of thousands

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
Pages: 2 3 1
by Sami on September 22, 2004 06:04 AM
I have 2 mother of thousands. Over the last week or so, the bottom leaves have began to shrivel & fall off. Also, I read that these are annuals. I've had mine for a long time. How can it be considered an annual? One more thing. I was planning on putting them in the ground, in my rock garden but just read that they don't live through frost. Would it be a good idea to leave them in pots & bring them in during the winter? It said that they bloom in the late winter...should it stay outside for that or bring it indoors? Does anyone know about these plants?

-
Talentless but connected.
by gardenmom32210 on September 22, 2004 06:26 AM
Around here they come back every year. I'm on the border between 8 & 9.

Karen [grin]
by Newt on September 23, 2004 02:14 AM
Hi Sami,
It's considered an annual because it will produce it's babies and be killed off by frost. Since the freezing temps will kill it, you could place it in the rock garden in it's pot in late spring and then pull the pot to bring in for the winter. Keep it in a bright spot and it should bloom for you in the house. The botanical name is Kalanchoe daigremontiana or Bryophyllum daigremontianum. You can find more info on them by searching with the botanical names at www.google.com

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: