The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Oh My Gosh!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Oh FUDGE!!| Next thread: Oh no!! »
Back to Thread index
by Fernie on July 20, 2005 08:09 AM
After thinking I planted it completely wrong last year and it would never bloom, my double peach hollyhock is busting out all over! It is just the most gorgeous thing!!! The flowers are deep peach in the center fading out to a cream color at the edges of the petals. It isn't my turn for the camera so I don't have a picture but I sure am proud of it!!

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by MaryReboakly on July 20, 2005 08:22 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh! Fernieeeeeeeeeee!
I think I'm in love [Big Grin] [Love]

If I can persuade you to save me a few seeds, I'd be forever greatful! I'm a hollyhock/composting nut now. It should be on my name badge [Big Grin]

Congratulations - I know how proud you must feel! I especially love the peach colored flowers - I'm not a 'peachy' person - not really fond of that color - but in the garden...WOW! [Wink]

Oh, and PS, I'm not above begging [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Triss on July 20, 2005 08:51 AM
Add me to the list of begging. That sounds beautiful! Cannot wait until it is your turn with the camera so we can see it!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by loz on July 20, 2005 08:59 AM
Fernie, I'm really seriously begging for a few seeds if you get some!!!! My neighbor has double hollyhocks and they were absolutely beautifully stunning, compared to my single ones.....

No wonder you are so proud!!!!
by tkhooper on July 20, 2005 09:12 AM
Hey Fernie I can't get the camera back to you until payday the 3rd of August. Is it still going to be blooming then? Lord I don't know what to do. Not spend so much at JoAnn's next time I go I guess. Is there someone near buy that can snap a picture for you? I feel so bad.
by Fernie on July 20, 2005 12:52 PM
Not to worry!! I took some pics with a regular camera and my daughter will have her digetal up here this weekend.

Now....how do I collect the seeds????

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by MaryReboakly on July 20, 2005 01:23 PM
Fernie, here's some info I gathered on collecting hollyhock seeds:

For a flower to produce seeds some basic things need to happen. First, the flowers need to self- or cross-pollinate. Pollination occurs when the flower is open, pollen is visible and either wind or insects carry the pollen to the center of the flower. The flower is then fertilized and the seeds begin their development. The time period for seed development varies. Flowers "go to seed" when they are not disturbed on the stem, the petals fall off and a podlike fruit forms. When the pod looks dry and begins to open, go grab your seeds.

If you have other colors of hollyhocks nearby, when they pollinate, they may not turn out to be the same color [dunno] Hopefully you have some of the same color nearby and the right pollen gets to the right hollyhocks for the same color with the new seeds. Hope that helps! [Wink]

-
 -
by Fernie on July 20, 2005 01:35 PM
Thanks Mary. I only have the double peach hollyhocks so they won't cross pollinate and become a different color. Ok, I will look for the pod fruits. I hope I can get some seeds for folks. It really is a beautiful thing even tho it took 2 years to bloom.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by MaryReboakly on July 20, 2005 01:39 PM
Yep, my feeling is they're worth the wait [Wink] If you plant some this year and then some again next year you'll have blooms every year. Nifty, idea if I do say so myself! [Smile]

-
 -
by Meg on July 20, 2005 05:40 PM
My mom's neighbor has hollyhocks.. they grow everywhere the seeds drop! They spread like crazy! Each pod has probably 50 seeds in it, and flower does that! You'll see when the flowers naturally fall off, leave it alone.. a little flat ball will form where the flower used to be, and when it turns brown, like it's all dried up, you can pop the pod right off, and if you kinda just gently crush the outside of the pod, you'll see all these flat, disc shaped seeds.

Your hollyhocks sound just beautiful!! And also, some hollyhocks are considered biennual, meaning, they grow just thier green leaves the first year, and the 2nd year they get thier flowers. [flower]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Triss on July 20, 2005 11:35 PM
They sure do have the most unique looking seeds. One good thing I have found about mine is that even when the pod is really dry, the seeds don't really disappear like some other flowers do if you dont catch them in that exact right moment. Makes gathering very easy.

Ya know I didnt think about cross pollination of seeds. Makes me glad my reds and pinks are in different places.

-
 -
by Fernie on July 21, 2005 12:53 AM
Ok I am excited now. I will definately be harvesting the seeds.

Since they are bienniel, does this mean the plant I have blooming now won't bloom again?

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by mike57 on July 21, 2005 01:21 AM
HI Fernie [wayey] if you could would add me to the list for some of them peach colored hollyhocks. i would love to have some of that color.i planted some diffrent colors this year but had no peach colored ones.you should get a lot of seeds from each pod abut 50 or more seeds per pod i will be posting a seed tradeing list soon hope we can do some tradeing or a sase.thanks your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by MaryReboakly on July 21, 2005 01:31 AM
quote:
Since they are bienniel, does this mean the plant I have blooming now won't bloom again?
No, that one won't bloom again. It lives 2 years, green in the first year, flowers in the 2nd, then dies. Some biennials look like they 'come back' because they drop seeds and send up new growth that way - but of course it's a whole new plant at that stage [Wink]

-
 -
by Fernie on July 21, 2005 01:31 AM
Okey doke.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by Triss on July 21, 2005 01:36 AM
And here I thought mine didnt bloom cuz they got mowed over. Maybe mine are bienniel as well.

-
 -
by MaryReboakly on July 21, 2005 02:13 AM
Triss I think all hollyhocks are biennial.

-
 -
by Triss on July 21, 2005 02:14 AM
Well that explains that. Guess I am going to have to save some of my seeds to plant the year after next as well as next year.

-
 -
by Fernie on July 21, 2005 09:28 AM
When I was a little girl the house we lived in had this big storage/wood shed alongside the alley. Since the only door faced the house the whole backside of the woodshed was hollyhocks. I never knew they were bienniels because there was always hollyhocks across the whole back of the shed every year. We gave them kind of a wide birth because they were always full of bees.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by tkhooper on July 21, 2005 11:08 AM
I seem to have a thing for biennials. I have carnations, calendrum and I have seeds for the hollyhocks. Well at least the hollyhocks will be going the opposite year from the rest.
by mike57 on July 22, 2005 01:18 AM
HI ALL [wayey] heres a link i found awhile back for mary.its a hollyhock site with lots of imformation.
http://www.wuvie.net/hockwhento.htm
hope it helps everyone with there hollyhocks and there seeds [thumb] .your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
by Fernie on July 22, 2005 01:33 AM
Thanks Mike....I got you on my list for some double peach seeds. I love this place, I never even thought of harvesting my own seeds before!

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by Triss on July 22, 2005 01:59 AM
Awesome Mike, Guess I will be planting my seeds this fall to my new areas for hollyhock!

-
 -
by mike57 on July 22, 2005 02:00 AM
HI Fernie [wayey] thank you for adding me to your list for some of your seeds [thumb] i love holly hocks theres so many varitys of them. i do not think i can get enough of the diffrent colors.thanks again your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Oh FUDGE!!| Next thread: Oh no!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: