The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dividing spirea

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Dividing Siberian Iris| Next thread: Dividing the Caladium »
Back to Thread index
by chic3 on July 18, 2005 08:22 PM
can spirea be divided by cutting root ball in half? mine is getting huge and too big for its location
by mike57 on July 19, 2005 12:13 AM
HI chic3 [wayey] YES your spirea be divided in half.
Spirea when divided every few years will becoming stronger and produce more blooms.dig up half the plant soil and all or dig up the hole plant and divide it into sections of the desired size do not make them to small. make sure you get plenty of roots with with each section.spirea can be divided in very early spring.but is best to divide the plant in the fall after it has bloomed and the heat of the summer is past.dig the new hole where the plant will be placed larger than the root system of each division so the root system will have lots of new lose soil to spread out new roots.add water into the hole then place the plant in.then backfill with soil.then water the plant real well.water it about every two weeks till the roots take hold.hope this helps and good luck with you spirea.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by RugbyHukr on July 19, 2005 02:11 AM
Are you talking about spirea shrubs? Or the perennial astilbe 'false spirea'??

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dividing Siberian Iris| Next thread: Dividing the Caladium »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: