The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Candied Sweet Potatoes

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Canadian Winters & Perennials| Next thread: candied sweet potatoes »
Back to Thread index
by Tonya on October 10, 2006 10:20 PM
I make these for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year....big hit!! I don't really measure too much on this one- just sweeten to taste.

4-6 whole Sweet potatoes
Cinnamon
Butter
Brown Sugar
Milk
Vanilla
Flour

Slice sweet potatoes in 2 inch thick slices and boil until soft. Remove from water and peel skin off. (you can peel them first, then boil, but the skin just "falls" off if you boil them first) Mash them with butter and a touch of milk to make them smooth. Add 1 tsp of vanilla, about 1-2 tsp of cinnamon, and sweeten to taste with brown sugar, and blend until almost smooth- we like them a little lumpy. Pour into a round baking dish and set aside.

Topping:
Combine equal parts of Brown Sugar, Flour, and Butter as well as another tsp of vanilla. Mix until crumbly and spread over top of potatoes. Bake at 350* until crispy and gooey. YUM!! Very rich and sweet, but VERY good!!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Karrie on October 10, 2006 11:05 PM
I am gonna try those for Thanksgiving they sound great. I have only baked sweet potatoes with mallow cream on top. These sound so much better. I think I am gonna add pecans to the mix though.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Tonya on October 11, 2006 01:08 AM
I have never thought of adding nuts.... [Roll Eyes] Where is my "smacking head" graemlin. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I started doing these because Doug asked for candied yams and I hate marshmallows... [Razz] yucko!!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Canadian Winters & Perennials| Next thread: candied sweet potatoes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: