The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Purple Smoke Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Purple Smoke Bush| Next thread: purple spider plant? »
Back to Thread index
by Susan Slupski on July 11, 2005 01:50 AM
I have a Purple Smoke Tree/bush, about three years old.
Every year - late Spring, it gets the "flurry/smokey" things on the end of the limbs; but only for a week or so. then tey schrival up and die off. The rest of the tree remains healthy and the leaves are pretty, but no "smoke"
I'm in zone 5 and the soil is clay and moist; but when I planted it, we used top soil to fill in the hole.
Any ideas? [thinker]
thank you
Susan
by loz on July 11, 2005 03:53 AM
Hi there, I'm going to go ahead and move this to the plants and flowers forum where it will get more replies.....

Glad to have you here!

Laura
by RugbyHukr on July 11, 2005 12:29 PM
Maybe it is too wet.

The fall color is one of my favorites, regardless of the flowers.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by mike57 on July 11, 2005 08:02 PM
HI [wayey] susan the "flurry/smokey" things are where the plants get there name from a distance they look like a puff of smoke.they do not bloom very long but are very pretty while in bloom.so i would think your plants are healthy.they do not actualy "smoke".hope this helps your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by RugbyHukr on July 12, 2005 01:15 AM
Susan,

You did the right thing by putting good soil into the planting hole.

But, when you plant in heavy clay, you are essentially making a giant pot. The clay drains so slowly that it is like a large planter with a very small drainage hole, holding the water.

When I plant in such conditions, I fill the bottom 6" or so of the hole with gravel & sand to allow water to drain away from the roots.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Purple Smoke Bush| Next thread: purple spider plant? »
Back to Thread index