The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Propagating African Violets

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Lily789 on August 13, 2004 01:50 AM
I've read somewhere about propagating Afican violets from seeds. Can I just pollinate some AV flowers and expect them to have seeds? Any info?

Thanks! [flower]

~Lily
by Nako on August 13, 2004 04:08 AM
that would work, but i would imagine it would put stress on the plant, and end its flowering for a while. If it decides to make seeds, then there won't be a reason to have flowers, so you'll have to wait for the seeds to be completely ready before you can expect the plant to flower again. I donno how to germinate the seeds though >.<

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Harrys Dad on August 14, 2004 05:01 PM
I suspect that you'd find that the seeds wouldn't breed true as they're probably F1 Hybrids.

I've always done quite well taking a cutting of a young leaf and putting in a fairly narrow necked small bottle, jar of water so the stalk is the the water but the leaf itself is kept dry. Depending on the time of year, roots will start to appear after about 3 weeks. When there's a reasonable number of roots approx 1" long, carefully pot up into small pot.

You can also take leaf cuttings but I wasn't so successful with that.

Good luck.

Harry's Mum

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: