The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Money Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by hisgal2 on August 11, 2004 06:37 PM
I have a money plant...is it called a Chinese Money Plant???...in the front and the little "monies" have turned tan..and some even on the black side. Does that mean that I can pick those off now??

-
 -

-
by Nako on August 12, 2004 01:34 AM
According to my research, you can take the fruit thingies off right now if you want. They're supposed to be dry. So ya if they're on the brown side, or even the black side, i'm gonna assume that they're dry [Smile]

Whatcha can also do is keep the fruit on the plant, and peel them open to reveal the silky silver dollar like thingies inside them. I heard that they were very pretty!

There's a lotta names for that plant too! Money Plant, Honesty, Bolbonac, Moonwort, Silver Dollar or Lunaria annua are a bunch of them!

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Bestofour on August 12, 2004 02:30 AM
The black thing is the seed. If you leave it alone it will probably reseed where it is planted. If you want to save the seeds just rub the round, papery, part together and the seed will fall out.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Lily789 on August 19, 2004 12:40 AM
I have a money tree too. I'm wondering... how often money trees flower and make seeds? Does it depend on age? Anything I can do?

If there's a seed, there's got to be a flower. How do they look like?

Sorry...I am new to money trees and they are very pretty,as well as intriguing. [Smile]

~Lily
by Back Mountain NEPA on August 19, 2004 07:54 PM
The flower is purple and looks kind of like phlox. You may even see them growing wild. They're biennial, so you do need to re-seed (they self-seed if you leave them alone). Rubbing the outside papery parts off is how you get to the silvery inside. Its got two outside layers, then the seeds, then the silvery inside. They are pretty, but time-consuming to do. They also get tangled together easily! However, once its done, they keep nicely in a vase for years. I even use some as a swag over a window. I kept mine going until this year because I plan to use them at my daughter's bridal shower next year. I think I won't plant them again for a while--too messy at this seed stage.
by Bestofour on August 20, 2004 07:23 PM
 -

The purple flower thing is money plant. The flowers turn to white, round, paperlike, things that will have a black, round seed inside them. Just rub the paper stuff together and the seed will fall out.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: