The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

One of my projects

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: One of my latest bargains| Next thread: onion harvest »
Back to Thread index
by netty on March 01, 2006 04:33 AM
I wanted to share one of my "triumphs" with you. We bought our house in August of 2003. Even though it was 70+ years old, there was only 1 small garden on the whole property...Can you imagine?? Well, here is a "Before" shot:
 -
Under all those weeds were some huge boulders. I filled them in with some soil from the neighbour and planted up some drought tolerant perennials. I used all the rocks I dug up (from all the other projects)and piled them around the outside. Here is that garden last summer:
 -
I can't wait to see how it looks this year!!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on March 01, 2006 06:00 AM
[clappy] WOW WOW WOW!!! [clappy]

I absolutely LOVE what you have done there!!!
It is soooo pretty! [thumb]

Would you please tell us what drought tolerant plants you put in there?
That would be very helpful! [kissies]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by ShirlS on March 01, 2006 06:30 AM
That is so pretty Netty! Lots of hard work i am sure.

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by netty on March 01, 2006 08:10 AM
Thank You! [grin]
Some of the plants are Sedum, Butterfly Weed, Bee Balm, Ajuga, Phlox, snow-in-summer, Primrose, Rudbekia, Thyme, Branched coneflowers, Purple coneflowers, Yucca, Liatris, and Perennial Batchelor Buttons. I also add a few Marigolds and ornamental grasses. This garden only gets rain...and there wasn't a whole lot of that here last summer.

-
 -
by loz on March 01, 2006 08:32 AM
Netty, that looks amazing......I love what you did with it! [thumb]

Can you see it easily from your house?
by ChristinaC on March 01, 2006 09:07 AM
That's beautiful Netty! Where did you get the ideas for the plants, flowers, shape, size, etc. Did you design it yourself?

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 01, 2006 09:18 AM
Holy Cowwwwwwwwww, I'm jumpin' in on this
band~wagon tooooooo!!!!
BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLLL!!!
I'll say, that's alot of work,
but soooooo nice..

Thank~Youuuuuuuuu for sharing that with us!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by comfrey on March 01, 2006 09:43 AM
Very Beautiful Netty!!!!!

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 01, 2006 01:20 PM
Hi Netty, [wavey]

Your garden is awesome and I love the combination of flowers and rocks! [Love] I can't wait to see what it looks like this year too. I hope you'll share some pictures this summer. You did a GREAT job! [thumb]

Have a BAUTIFUL day! [flower] [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by penny in ontario on March 01, 2006 09:23 PM
netty,

you have done an amazing job, it looks great and yes please, post another picture so we can see what it looks like this summer.

good job...
penny
by netty on March 01, 2006 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone! [flower]
This garden is what you see when you first enter our 600 ft driveway. I wanted something there to catch the eye. Sometimes I just look at a spot and think "that should be a garden". Those big rocks were placed perfectly and after the soil was added it all just kind of fell into place. But no, I can't see it from the house. I have other projects on the go near the house [lala] I'm just itchin' to get out there!! My husband is already nervous...

-
 -
by slredmond on March 07, 2006 10:15 PM
OK Netty, you're in Ontario, I'm in Michigan, but it's really not THAT far for you to come down and make my yard as beautiful!! Congrats on what you have accomplished in such a short span of time.

Sandy

Sandy R.
by buzylady on March 15, 2006 02:22 AM
Hello.I'm another newbie.
That is soome transformation you have made Netty. That's what I like to do too. We don't have much yard left from me turning yard to garden. My hubby is getting nervous too. Though I do most of the work sometimes draft my son who is now bigger and stronger than I. I have plans going for another small pond area.
I was wondering what is the tall metal looking item on the left side of the pic? A lamp?
Great Job
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by netty on March 15, 2006 03:51 AM
Thank you buzylady [flower]
The tall metal thing on the side of the picture is the old pump from the top of our well, but the wooden handle has broken off.
I like turning yard to garden too...that's why we moved to the country. My old yard had no garden room left [Big Grin] That's also why my husband gets nervous [critic] He'd rather be tinkering in the garage!

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 15, 2006 05:23 AM
My husband says, "If I let her,
my wife would have the house inside then entire flower bed..

(meaning, I'd have only flower beds, and no lawn
and the house would be smack~dab right in the middle.
The whole property would be GARDEN!!!)
Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by dodge on March 24, 2006 09:01 AM
NETTIE,

YOU ARE A VERY GOOD FLOWER CHILD.. I LOVE YOU BED..
ARE YOU COMING OVER IN MAY TO DO MINE? ;o)

DODGE.............

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by netty on March 26, 2006 06:07 AM
Thank You Dodge [kissies]
I'm gonna be really busy here in my yard making new gardens all over the place and driving my family crazy [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by ccgardengal on March 29, 2006 07:18 AM
Wow! Great job, especially using what was already there. [clappy] Looking forward to more projects and pics. [thumb]

Heidi
My Garden Journal
by netty on March 29, 2006 09:42 PM
Now that the weather is (finally!)nicer, I have been able to get out and inspect the gardens. I have some changes to make to this garden as the spring thaw washed away a small portion of the garden [Eek!] I will most certainly post some pictures when the garden gets going!

-
 -
by rue anemone on April 01, 2006 12:12 AM
Netty wonderful job, just beautiful!!

-
 -
by Pinkhorseofcourse on April 19, 2006 02:15 PM
OMG!! That is totally AWESOME! [flower] [thumb] [flower] Unbelievable! I do have a question, how do you keep out the WEEDS?? I have a small perennial garden, I will be posting NO pics as it does NOT compare to yours, [Wink] but I always have grass and weeds growing in it. [tears] It is such a pain in the butt trying to figure out in the spring if what I am seeing is a weed, and should I pluck it, or is it a plant?? Usually I just leave them alone so I can see what they are going to turn into. *sigh* But I always have grass/clover growing in it. I put in a few more perennials last year, as some of mine didn't seem to come up, or maybe I plucked when I shouldn't have... [Frown] Thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to see more pics! [flower]
by netty on April 21, 2006 09:28 AM
Thank you [Embarrassed]
I'm out there weeding all the time! My biggest problem is the grass...it pops up everywhere!!! I like to head down there after dinner and weed for a while...I can't hear the kids down there [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I keep records of what I plant and where and if anything else pops up, its "out of bounds" and it gets pulled out.

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on April 23, 2006 07:59 AM
That's a stunning transformation. Good job!
by netty on May 02, 2006 03:36 AM
Here's a pic of the spring thaw. All that water washed out part of the lower section taking my bulbs with it. [Eek!]
 -
I've been adding more rocks to build it back up. Not too much excitement here yet, but things are all growing so that's half the battle! I'll add another picture in the summer when things are blooming.
 -

-
 -
by loz on May 02, 2006 03:59 AM
Wow Netty, that's one heck of a spring thaw! [shocked]

I'm sure it will look beautiful this summer though, just like it did before.
by merrillzone5 on August 22, 2006 02:51 PM
Just came across this; absolutely stunning!
by netty on August 27, 2006 01:57 PM
I finally had time to take some new photos! Here's some seasonal changes in my garden:
Spring 2006
 -
Summer-last years shot
 -
Fall 2006 (well almost!)
 -
It's REALLY yellow this year!! Those Branched Coneflowers sure took over this year-good thing they are biennial!!

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 27, 2006 04:13 PM
Netty,
That is really neat how it transitions like that..
Thank~You for those pictures..
It's fun to watch it as it changes!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on August 27, 2006 08:43 PM
It's beautiful, Netty! [clappy] I love to see how it changes with the seasons, and especially, how much it has filled out since last year! [Wink] [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on August 27, 2006 11:41 PM
That bed is really lovely, Netty, and it's nice to see the seasonal changes. Does the water pump work or is it just for "eye-appeal"...whichever, I like that, too. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gailo on August 28, 2006 02:16 AM
Great to see the transitions. You did a beautiful job. I love the plant choices.

gailo
by netty on August 28, 2006 04:07 AM
No, the water pump doesn't work-I wish it did!! (I notice it needs a paint job too!)

-
 -
by Pekemom on August 28, 2006 07:15 AM
Wow!! That is SO impressive. The boulders are placed beautifully. The height of the different flowers are perfect. Colors are a delight.

I have a large tree on my property that is crying out to be the centerpiece for an imaginative garden like that. Stand tall!! You've done an inspiring job of gardening!!

-

-
 -  -  -  -  -
Pekemom's Gallery
by plantqueen on August 29, 2006 06:15 AM
Very beautiful garden! I started a new garden this year and hope that it turns out as well as yours....I would even settle for half as well!! [Big Grin]

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by penny in ontario on August 29, 2006 06:29 AM
Looks wonderful Netty...impressive [thumb] [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -

-
by debnoel on August 31, 2006 03:28 AM
We had an above ground swimming pool that we took down in the back yard. We added soil and composted cow manure to the sand that was left and tried to grow grass. Well the grass never grew and we had quite a large spot in the back yard that was bald. My plan was to rototill and keep adding organic material. I wanted a water feature, but thought a pond would be too much work, so I settled for a fountain. My husband looked at me like I had 3 heads when I first explained my idea. He started to see the light when I reminded him that it would be less grass to mow! So, I got my new garden this summer and now that it is done he likes it!
by Lorena on November 06, 2006 02:17 PM
Hi Netty,

We grow rocks here in WA too... lol!

You made wonderful use of yours [Smile] Think we have similar taste... would you help me with my poor excuse for a garden? Our house is at least 80 years old too, but it has a few 'established' garden areas.

Here's a link dahlia patch

-
"My Treasures do not clink
together or glitter. They gleam in
the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb
by faerywatcher on November 09, 2006 11:08 AM
oh, how beautiful, gives me ideas for next spring project. what is "branched coneflowers", are they different from regular?

-
 -
Beyond this place, there be dragons!
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/faerywatcher/
by chenno on November 10, 2006 12:19 AM
[thumb] A burst of color!!super!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by netty on November 10, 2006 06:08 AM
Faerywatcher - Branched coneflowers are Rudbeckia Triloba and they are biennial. I really like them because the blooms last a long time, but you got to be carefull...they re-seed like crazy!

-
 -
by sibyl on November 19, 2006 03:54 PM
WOW! Netty
im late in posting this, but had to say its gorgeous! you did a great job!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: One of my latest bargains| Next thread: onion harvest »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: