The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pavers with groundcover- how to irrigate

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Patio Stone Design - Success at Last!| Next thread: Pea Pests »
Back to Thread index
by flycats on February 15, 2006 05:58 AM
I've seen on TV the large pavers with either lawn in between or some kind of groundcover. They have been used to create a patio. How are these irrigated? I can't imagine someone having sprinklers go on every day on a patio? how do you protect the furniture? It seems impractical. Does anyone know how this is done? My area is too hot in the summer for me to remember to water by hand every day. PLEEZE help. I'd like to creat something similar in my front yard to save money, instead of building a whole new concrete or flagstone patio. THANKS!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by melcon6 on February 15, 2006 06:10 AM
Because I live near the coast , the air and ground is always wet and holds moisture for a long time , but for your situation I would use small stones for a "grout" between the pavers. I also use crushed mussel shells for fillers and pathways, any crushed shells would work, the mussels we have are pretty blue/purple irredescent and free, I just have to collect them and while other people are scavenging the beaches for sand dollars and prettier shells I scoop up the mussel shells.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by flycats on February 15, 2006 06:13 AM
OH so when I see those on Tv they probably live in a climate that wouldn't need irrigation...I see. OH well. thanks for the suggestion of the pebbles..sounds pretty! I'll try it out!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by flycats on February 15, 2006 06:23 AM
I knew they built stuff on those TV shows that was impractical!! Like the time they built a sunken patio with no drainage line...hmmm I watched it a few times and could never figure out how they would handle the first large storm! ha ha.

by jonni13 on February 15, 2006 07:15 AM
Hi flycats. I'm in Calif. too. I don't have things between my paving stones. they are snug up against each other. If I did, I would use sprinklers. It's the only way to go in my semi-desrt local. And use furniture that could take it or no furniture.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by tkhooper on February 15, 2006 07:33 AM
What about putting one of those hoses down with the holes in it and then laying the soil and then the paving stones and moss or thyme or whatever your going to use as a groundcover? That might work. Then just turn the water on very low so it didn't dislodge everything.

-
 -
by flycats on February 15, 2006 11:03 PM
Cool! I thought about that but didn't know if anyone had ever done it. The soaker tubing between the stones. THANKS everyone!

by Longy on February 16, 2006 12:19 AM
Plant a groundcover that doesn't require so much water. Then just hose off the area once a fortnight or so.
The pavers will retain moisture underneath for a long time, even if it's a hot area I don't think you'd need to irrigate if you select the right plant. Though even if you do need a bit more water, why does it have to be wetting the furniture? Can't you just flood the area at ground level?

-
The secret is the soil.
by flycats on February 16, 2006 01:37 AM
It would we the furniture if you had to have spray heads to irrigate. I thought this would be how they irrigate pavers that have sod in between.

by Longy on February 17, 2006 01:45 AM
Well, i don't think spray heads would be necessary and definitely not daily waterings.
Esp if you used a hardy herb like a prostrate thyme, say, Woolly thyme (Thymus pseudolanuginosus) or similar.
As an experiment, why not put a small section of 4 or 6 or so pavers onto the soil, maybe cut out a bit of lawn and do it in full sun, give it a good wet, lay the pavers down and see how long it takes for the moisture to dry up under the pavers. I'll bet it's still moist after a week. Probably longer even with decent drainage.
One thing though, make sure the drainage is good under the pavers. If it holds too much moisture you'll get problems.

-
The secret is the soil.
by flycats on February 17, 2006 04:50 AM
Great idea! THANKS!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Patio Stone Design - Success at Last!| Next thread: Pea Pests »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: