The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anyone know about Japanese Lilac Trees??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by firecracker on July 03, 2005 12:18 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and just stumbled upon it while I was looking for an answer about my Japanese Lilac tree. I live in Wisconsin and have bought the tree 3 years ago. It is in full sunlight as suggested and has good soil. It is only about 3-4 ft tall and has never bloomed. Many of the leaves also look deformed. The main vein of the leaf is twisted and so half of the leaf is smaller than the other half. It really looks strange but it doesn't look like it has any bugs of any kind. does anyone have a clue?? someone mentioned it may have some type of fungus. Please help!
by RugbyHukr on July 03, 2005 10:46 PM
It could be a fungus.

Also, it could be winter salt damage. If the tree in question is near a salt source (within 30 feet of a road, 10 feet of a driveway or sidewalk), it could be dying of thirst. If winter salts are used near the tree, they get washed into the soil. These salts can block the uptake of essential nutrients. Syptoms of which include failure to produce flower buds & deformed leaf production.

If your tree is in a sheltered area, then it is most likely a fungus.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by firecracker on July 04, 2005 12:16 AM
thanks RugbyHukr. I wouldn't think it would be a salt problem. It is in the middle of my front yard a good distance away from the street and my driveway. any idea what I can do about the fungus?

Active Garden Forum