The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cats!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: cats| Next thread: Cats & Houseplants »
Back to Thread index
by KathyMS on November 04, 2005 01:44 AM
Hi,
I have an area under my bedroom window that I am wanting to plant bulbs. I already have bought the bulbs and everything I need, the only problem is I have a neighborhood cat that comes through the privacy fence to use this area as his or her litter box!! How do I stop this?!!
Thanks so much for any suggestions,
Kathy in Alabama
by barleychown on November 04, 2005 11:25 AM
I hear chickenwire over the dirt and lightly covered with mulch (so they can't dig) will help. Also have heard that citrus peels discourage them.

Personally, I live in a neighborhood full of cats and have 3 of my own. I find it to be a losing battle, and I have admitted defeat. They never harm my plants, and I have put out pots of cat mint for them. I just wear gloves when working in their "area".

Hope this helps some,

Sarah

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by cinta on November 04, 2005 11:30 AM
Do you have any thorny bushes you can lay across the area? Also, I have heard of cayenne pepper works. But after it rains you would have to re-apply.

They were going near my pond area picking out the fish. I clipped some rose bush limbs and laid it in the path and they stopped coming near the pond.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by barleychown on November 04, 2005 11:36 AM
Cayenne pepper burns thier eyes and they can't get it out. Not a very humane choice.

It's really not the cats fault, per se...it's the owner if anything. Please don't make the cat suffer. There are humane choices.

If it's a big problem, they also sell motion activated sprinklers.

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Bill on November 04, 2005 12:01 PM
Plant some moth balls under your mulch. Cats avoid the smell more than you avoid the smell the cats leave behind.
Please don't do anything that could injure any critters... they are just doing what comes naturally! Pepper your neighbors instead!

-
by KathyMS on November 05, 2005 12:28 PM
Thanks everyone so much for your help! I really do appreciate it! I'll let you know how it goes, okay?
Thanks again,
Kathy
by The Plant Doc on November 05, 2005 08:18 PM
What about a really big dog? [devil]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by KathyMS on November 06, 2005 01:43 AM
Haahaa!! Mike that's funny!
The only problem with that is I have a 7lb toy poodle that wouldn't like that very much! [scaredy] heehee
Thanks!
Kathy
by JAKE on November 18, 2005 02:48 AM
The moth balls really do work - I tried them this season for the same reason - a stray cat was coming in my yard and using it as a litter box. I have two of my own who to outdoors in the yard, but use the litter box inside. Once the stray started using the backyard, I was concerned that my own would find it acceptable as well and I did not want to put my hands in the plants, and come up with ****!!
Anyway - it solved my problem
Ellen

-
by KathyMS on November 18, 2005 03:48 AM
Hi Ellen,
Thanks so much for your help! That sounds like a winner. [clappy]
I'll get a box of mothballs today.
Thanks again,
Kathy
by 4Ruddy on November 18, 2005 07:52 AM
I have done the moth balls before with great success...this summer in the gardening dept of Wally World there was a plant they had for sale that they called "cat away"...does anyone have any idea what it is? Should have looked at the tag on it, this is the first year I have seen them! [dunno]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by JAKE on November 19, 2005 03:44 AM
If the leaf looked similar to a malva or geranium, I've tried it with little success - in fact my cats got great enjoyment out of sitting right next to it in the garden.
[kitty]

-
by KathyMS on November 19, 2005 05:48 AM
Thanks you guys for all the help!!!
4Ruddy, I LOVE your signature about hot flashes, [Big Grin] that's fantastic!!!!
Kathy
by peppereater on November 29, 2005 01:34 AM
My mom had the same problem and tried mothballs, and they didn't work for her. I was horrified when she used them, because I have heard thet they are extremely toxic and a known to be a powerful carcinogen.
I think the idea of laying down chickenwire should work great...we put hardware cloth (wire with little squares, smaller than chicken wire) in our houseplant pots, and it works fine.
by plants 'n pots on November 29, 2005 02:42 AM
Can't help you with your question, but Norman - my mom puts mothballs in her vacuum cleaner - she loves the smell!!! I refuse to go to her house the day of/following cleaning because I cannot stand the smell, let alone how toxic it is! No amount of explaining gets her to stop using them!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by peppereater on November 29, 2005 08:57 AM
Lynne...I can't believe they still sell them...they used to sell them crushed as "borer chrystals," but, as I understand, they outlawed them fot that use. Yet they still sell them to put in your closet! Go figure. [nutz]
by duckie on November 29, 2005 10:16 AM
[wavey] ...hey palies.

Great topic!...........the cat poop issue has always made me see red.
ewwwwww........the smell, and getting it on your hands,really gross!!

I used cayenne pepper for a lot of years.But I read an article about a cat getting it in its eyes and .............. [shocked]
In my own defense....I've never had a cat as a pet.(I was clueless)

I'm an organic gardener.But I also use mothballs.
It works for me.

I use 3 inches of pine bark mulch on all of my perennial beds.So I just tuck some mothballs in the first inch of mulch.

Usually,depending on the amount of rain we get,I toss the old ones.Put in some new ones.

-
 -
by KathyMS on November 29, 2005 12:24 PM
Hi Duckie,
Great suggestion! I have put the wire down and it seems to be working in that area but I'm still having problems. It seems as though this cat thinks my whole backyard is his/her litterbox. Oh well, I guess I'll keep picking it up with my little dog's pooper scooper! [Frown]
Thanks you guys for all the great ideas!
I wonder if I put the mothballs all along my privacy fence would it work?
Thanks again,
Kathy
by Oui on December 01, 2005 10:21 PM
That idea about the moth balls is good. I used moth balls to chase some copperheads away. The smell interferes with their natural sense of smell. I never used moth balls to keep cats away. I had cats bothering my flower gardens. killing some plants (some other plants can tolerate the cats.) I used medium sized rocks around the plants. The cats are looking for nice soft soil similar to cat litter to go in. So make it hard for the cat to dig and he/she will find someplace to go.
by catlover on December 05, 2005 07:30 AM
Just a suggestion.....rather than fight it...how about digging a little area just for the neighbor cat TO use. Cats love soil that is freshly turned so you might want to find a place WAY out past the house for it to use.

OR maybe set up a litter pan for it WAY out back. [dunno] I'd rather clean up one area rather than the whole yard. [perplexed]

When I used to let my kitties out they would still use the indoor litter box....what the heck is that all about? I was hoping they WOULD go outside.LOL

-
 -
 -
by KathyMS on December 05, 2005 08:39 AM
Thanks Catlover and Oui, I really appreciate the help! I had snakes one time in my yard, at another house, and you're right, the mothballs do work for that. Whew, I'm glad, I hate snakes!!! [scaredy]
Thanks Everybody!
Kathy
by Oui on December 06, 2005 09:59 PM
If it is not your cat I wouldn't dig it a space in YOUR yard for it to go. Try the moth balls and big rocks around the base of your plants first. If you want to make it it's own space in your yard to go a little sand will work. but then you have smelly cat pooh pooh in your yard. EEK!!
by Oui on December 06, 2005 10:17 PM
I thought Mothballs were organic??? They are made out of cedar aren't they?
by Oui on December 06, 2005 10:19 PM
Are mothballs poisonous? Can they hurt children?? I can't imagine a child eating a mothball BUT children will do some unpredictable things.

My neighbors 7 year old son put a slug in his nose once..YUCKY..NO kidding.
by peppereater on December 06, 2005 11:21 PM
A quick Google search shows numerous pages addressing the toxicity of mothballs. They ARE poisonous, though not often lethal. Inhalation of the fumes is hazardous, and skin contact can cause rash, irritation and absorption into the bloodstream. When used to protect clothes, the clothes should be left to air before wearing, and the fumes dissipate quickly. [Frown]
by flycats on February 15, 2006 06:10 AM
Get one of those "scarecrow" sprinkler heads. YoOu attach them to your hose and when the cat comes by it turns on the sprinkler for a few seconds. It works by infrared, not motion, so it's only triggered by heat and not everytime the wind blows the bushes. You can adjust the sensitivity and range. They are kinda spendy... 75 or 80 dollars but you might be able to find a used one on ebay (I did.) WELL worth the money. It keeps the cats from pooping on my lawn! The only prob is you have to make sure your hose connections don't leak or you could have a large puddle form quickly and waste water. A few new O rings should do the trick.

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by KathyMS on February 15, 2006 01:27 PM
Flycats,
Thanks so much for a great suggestion! I'll look for one on ebay asap! [Smile]
Thanks again,
Kathy
by neko nomad on February 16, 2006 03:13 AM
If you could connect a sprinkler head to a conveniently located faucet, place the sprinkler in the roblem area, and the next time he shows up, let him have it full blast. He'd quickly learn to avoid that spot after just one or two soakings.
No one gets hurt and no littering of chemicals or garden debris.
by rue anemone on February 16, 2006 04:35 AM
LOL!! ROFL!! LOL!! OUI!!!

Slug in the nose!! I am dying here!!!

Oh my goodness that is the funniest thing I have ever heard!

-
 -
by Yann on February 19, 2006 12:55 AM
I had some soft comfy ( to a neighbor's cat's bottom) areas in my garden and covered them with scratchy branch cuttings from my shrubs. Cat moved on.

Branches blended in and were hardly noticeable.
by penny in ontario on February 20, 2006 10:35 PM
i have used the moth balls and they did work for our neighbour hood cats, they seemed to like my bed the best, and i thought of looking into one of those sprinklers to give him a soak, but no need after the moth balls, and we have a big dog in the back so they skip our house all together now [Big Grin] .
Penny
by KathyMS on February 21, 2006 06:09 AM
Thanks for letting me know how the mothballs worked for you. I appreciate all the help!
Thanks again,
Kathy
by DragonYoga on March 09, 2006 01:41 AM
Maybe all the mothball fumes killed the olfactory nerves in your mom's nose, Rockland? [Big Grin]

Try aluminum foil buried just under the ground of their potty place - it'll scare them. They don't like the crackling. I've heard it's a great training tool to teach cats to stay off the counter, etc.

Love As Thou Wilt
by DragonYoga on March 10, 2006 09:19 PM
I've got some animals that are supposedly pets (they have collars, anyway) that are free to roam. Since I have no fence up to protect my yard, any ideas on dogs? Kitties seem easier to scare off...

Love As Thou Wilt
by seeme on March 22, 2006 09:10 AM
i have almost the same problem.but i have dogs that come around and dig holes and leave tons of presents.i can't afford to build a fence so i just scare them away alllll the time!
by ccgardengal on March 28, 2006 04:11 PM
Anyone ever hear of or try rubber bark? I installed several yards of it in my friends flower beds a couple years ago. She lives in a house surrounded by a good couple dozen stray cats. The bark was laid over weed-cloth and has worked great.

It doesn't fade, break down, float away and is non-toxic. It is softer than real bark and is used on playgrounds at churches and daycares/schools. I have seen it at Lowes and some local garden centers.

For some reason, cats just dont like to use the bark as a litter box - not sure why, but whatever works.

Heidi
My Garden Journal
by KathyMS on March 28, 2006 11:37 PM
Thanks Heidi! That sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll have to look into it. Is it alot more expensive?
Thanks again!
Kathy
by ccgardengal on March 29, 2006 12:26 AM
I want to say that the local nurseries have it for about $125-$150 a ton, and Lowes had it for around $12 per bag (the size of a typical large bag of mulch). All in all, my friend was thrilled with the results for the price.

Heidi
My Garden Journal
by KathyMS on March 29, 2006 06:40 AM
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I really do appreciate it! I'll go to Lowes and see if they have it.
Kathy
by Amigatec on March 29, 2006 10:45 AM
I use the BB gun on the neighborhood cats, it works great!!!

I was overrun about 2 years ago, they were even chasing my cat away. But what really ticked me off, was when the TomCat climbed over the fence in thorough the PetDoor and into the Kitchen, and was eating the Dogs food!!!

That is when I declared WAR on the cats!!!

I am a good shot at close range. After 2 or 3 hits, that old Momma cat did get a little gun shy!!

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by buzylady on April 03, 2006 09:38 PM
amigatec
Several yrs ago we took in a stray dog. When it got sick and took it to the vet, they
x-rayed her. There were bb's embedded all through her. Sooo sad.
You could get a good water gun instead. Cats don't like being squirted and it wont harm them.(or be part of them for life).
Just a suggestion. I know cats can be a menace. I've got several outside and they can really can get on your nerves, and they're mine.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by buzylady on April 03, 2006 09:45 PM
Oh yeh. Chicken wire works for me. lay it down now before the plants grow too big. It's really hard then (been there done that). It wont be noticeable when the plants grow up or out. I've even cut small pieces to put in my pots. (On top of course)It's easy to cut and bend. You could even leave some of the rough edges sticking up.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
by KathyMS on April 04, 2006 06:35 AM
buzylady,
That is great idea! How did you overwinter your hydrangea? Did you place it in a garage? Water it? Or just let it be? I would love to know more about how you did this.
Thanks!
Kathy
by buzylady on April 04, 2006 09:05 PM
Kathy
I had it in an unheated basement. Brought it upstairs about a month ago. It has several new leaves at the base now. While it was in the basement, 3-31/2 months, it wasn't watered. Didn't know if it would come back but, WOW! I have an old and large one outside. I liked the pink blooms this one had. I'm sooo glad it is coming back.
Diane [Smile]

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cats| Next thread: Cats & Houseplants »
Back to Thread index