The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fruit flies???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: fruit dip| Next thread: Fruit Flies in my Spider Plant?!?!?!??! »
Back to Thread index
by JunieGirl on November 17, 2006 01:57 PM
around Halloween I brought in my Jerusalem Cherry plant. Soon I had what seemed to be fruit flies in the house (my husband says they are in the basement also). I removed any food stuffs that could be bringing the fruit lies---and they are still here. Could it be that whatever they are they came in with My J Cherry plant?? there are still "cherrys" on this plant--and as it is more than 70 in the house, could I put the plant in my attached garage?? would that help my problem, and/or would this hurt the plant any and all help would be appreciated.
by netty on November 17, 2006 08:32 PM
Hi JunieGirl
I remember reading something about fungus gnats somewhere in the forum...maybe you could do a search. That COULD be the problem that came with your plant.

-
 -
by JunieGirl on November 22, 2006 01:56 PM
Netty : I think you may be right, and the easiest thing for me to do was to NOT water the plant in question for several days (the flies need damp soil in which to lay their larvae.) Dry soil = NO new flies. So the plant will just have to go thirsty for a few more days. Thnaks so very much!!
by netty on November 23, 2006 04:37 AM
Glad I could help JunieGirl [flower]

-
 -
by JunieGirl on November 27, 2006 10:59 AM
seemed to work--very few flies if any now---so I think I will water the Jerusalem Cherry plant tomorrow--as well as all my other house plants.

Thanks again!!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fruit dip| Next thread: Fruit Flies in my Spider Plant?!?!?!??! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: