The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Campanulas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by dcamp on August 04, 2004 05:32 AM
I have a lovely border of purple and white campanulas. Although planted all at the same time, about 5 years ago, some of them are much larger than others. Can they be safely separated to be used to start another border? Thank you.

Donna
by dcamp on August 08, 2004 12:31 AM
Isn't there anyone out there who can answer this for me? Thanks.

Donna
by Phil and Laura on August 08, 2004 02:29 AM
Hi Donna, Dig the plant out of the ground and place two garden forks or hand forks back to back and then lever their handles together. This pulls the plant apart and untangles the roots. You will need to repeat this technique several times to end up with small divisions of the main clump. A golden rule is usually to throw away the center part of the main clump and keep and replant the outer parts of the plant. The center of the clump is the older part and becomes woody. This works for all plants with fibrous roots:Campanulas Artemisia, Asters, Bee Balm, Coneflower, Golden Rod, to name a few [thumb]
by dcamp on August 08, 2004 08:04 AM
First of all---thanks Phil and Laura for responding. 1 more question. I live in NE Ohio. When should I do this? Now or in the fall? Thanks again.

Donna

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: