The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hydrangea Paniculata

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: hydrangea Microphylla| Next thread: Hydrangea Planting »
Back to Thread index
by Gerrie on August 04, 2004 02:59 AM
About three weeks ago, I planted a hydrangea paniculata, tree version. The leaves of the hydrangea look perky in the early morning, but droop as the day goes on. Also, the leaves are turning yellow from the bottom up. Although I have been watering it thoroughly, and we have been having a lot of rain, it seems as though the plant is not getting enough water. Any suggestions?
by Back Mountain NEPA on August 04, 2004 05:03 PM
Is it in full sun? It probably should have some shade part of the day. Plus, it may need watering more frequently, rather than a lot at one time. Usually ph doesn't affect leaf color in hydrangeas, just flower color, but have you checked it? The leaves will also turn yellow in fall.
by Bess of the Piedmont on August 04, 2004 05:47 PM
I have one of these, and I particularly love it in the fall when the leaves turn yellow and the flowers turn mauve. It's quite a striking combination.

If you're up in Pennsylvania, it's possible it may be turning all ready. It's also possible that all the watering has washed away some nutrients. I wonder if it's too late in the season to aplly some vitamins of some sort?

-
 -
by Gerrie on August 05, 2004 02:57 AM
Thanks for your quick response. The plant does not get full sun, but it does get the hottest sun in the middle of the day, which I thought might be causing the drooping. I just hope that this doesn't mean the plant will not make it since it was just planted several weeks ago. What do you think is causing the yellowing leaves at the bottom of the plant. The flowers are still bright white and it doesn't look like a seasonal change. I'm afraid to feed the plant since it looks like it's in stress.
by weezie13 on August 05, 2004 03:26 AM
Hi Gerrie [wayey]
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!
We are glad you found us!!!

There are sometimes a couple things with wilting
#1. Can be a sign of too much water...
#2. A bug has gotten into the stem???
Not sure it can do that with your plant??
*mostly that is with veggies like pumpkins and squash's...*

So, I'd probably go with the first one...
Also, how is your drainage?
What kind of soil and what did you do to the planting hole before putting in the plant??

Have you used any fertilizer? If any, what kind,
how much, and when???

The yellowing could be a few things, when it rains alot, the "food" that would be in the dirt, gets washed away very quickly because of the rain washing thru...
Also a nutrient deficiency???

Hope this helps some??
Please keep us posted on how your plant is??
Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Gerrie on August 05, 2004 03:49 AM
Hi Weezie:
When I planted the hydrangea, I mixed in some compost with the soil (but just a little because I was told that it is not good to add too much compost because the plant roots will want to stay in the more fertile soil and not grow out). I have clay soil. After planting I added some vitamin E which I was told will help the plant get established and ease stress.

When it rains a lot, which it has recently, I do get puddling in that flower bed. The puddles usually disappear within a day.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and keeping a close eye on it.

Thanks for your help.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hydrangea Microphylla| Next thread: Hydrangea Planting »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: