The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

perennials

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: perennials| Next thread: Perennials that repel Cats? »
Back to Thread index
by esor105 on August 02, 2004 03:37 AM
What do I do when my perennials die.I have never had a garden and have really learned a lot from you. I don't know if i should cut them back or just let them die away?I have columbine,diathus and some blue scabiosa. I have some forget me nots that should get here soon ,so I want to be ready. thanks for all your help.
by Bestofour on August 02, 2004 03:57 AM
I'm in NC. Cut the dianthus back, they will probably come back in the fall. If you keep them deadheaded in the summer they'll continue to bloom for a long time. As far as the columbine, mine stops flowering but stays green until the frost. I don't do anything to it.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by weezie13 on August 04, 2004 05:36 PM
quote:
I have columbine,diathus and some blue scabiosa. I have some forget me nots that should get here soon
The columbine I just leave alone, I do collect some of the seed and put it in other parts of my garden.
The dianthus I just take a pair of clippers or scissor's and cut straight acrossed the top, they'll will give anther bloom usually.
The scabiosa you can deadhead and they will keep blooming for quite some time... I have several kinds of those, blue/purple and yellow.
The forget me nots' for me here have bloomed in the spring time and I personally let them go to seed, and the flower stem die back and when I get around to pulling the flowers' stalks off, the seed falls to the ground and reseeds it's self, also, there's already babies starting for me under the momma's... I have a big~huge area for them.

Any other kinds you have???
Let us know!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: perennials| Next thread: Perennials that repel Cats? »
Back to Thread index