The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Potato Candy

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Potato bugs| Next thread: Potato Growing????? »
Back to Thread index
by Tonya on May 19, 2006 04:21 PM
My mammaw ( that is grandma for all that aren't southern [Big Grin] ) used to make this for us all the time! You will need:

the smallest white potato you can find
1 tsp vanilla
confectioners sugar
Peanut butter

Peel and boil the potato in PLAIN WATER. No butter or salt...just water.
Cook until soft and then mash and remove all lumps. I use a mixer to get it creamy. Place in fridge and allow to cool completely. When absolutely cool add vanilla and begin adding sugar. Continue adding sugar until potato is very stiff and can be rolled into a sheet. This takes a LOT of sugar so be patient. Once it is stiff, put a thin layer of sugar on some wax paper and begin rolling mixture to make a flat 1/4 inch thick( or thinner) sheet. You may need to sugar whatever you are using to roll it out, so it doesn't stick. Once it is rolled out, spread peanut butter on it and roll it into a log. refrigerate for a few minutes and then slice and serve. DELICIOUS!! Very rich though, I can only eat one 1/2 inch slice at a time. [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Budman on May 24, 2006 05:41 AM
I can vouch for this being a delicious recipe!! A good friend of mine is originally from West By God Virginia and he would come back from Christmas with a big batch of Potatoe Candy that was made by his Meemaw. [Love] I always looked forward to that time of year. Sadly she passed away a few years back [tears] Well, now I can make some of this myself at Christmas and continue the tradition! [clappy] Thanks Tonya.
by Tonya on May 24, 2006 06:23 AM
I was beginning to wonder if anyone but me had ever heard of this! No prob budman! Enjoy!! [grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by penny in ontario on May 25, 2006 03:56 AM
that sounds really good, i have to admit, i have never heard of it but after reading it, its sounds delicious, i just may have to try it [thumb]
thanks

-
 -

-
by Tonya on May 25, 2006 05:35 AM
Let me know how it turns out! A quick shortcut is to substitute plain vanilla cake icing for the potato and vanilla and to add the powdered sugar to that until STIFF! I know you will love it! [grin] [flower]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by penny in ontario on May 25, 2006 05:55 AM
i will try it, and i will let you know, i hope i can make it right though, baking and i just dont get along [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [lala]

-
 -

-
by chenno on May 25, 2006 06:03 AM
My Great Grandma used to make this...
Thanks for this, I never knew how she did it.
I will give it a try.

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Merme on May 25, 2006 05:20 PM
Francine posted this recipe last year and then sent a sample for me 'n Maxi to try.

Well, as a word of warning to all of you first timers, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!

I used One potato as directed, then thought that was way too small of an amount. So... I added Two Potato and then Three Potato. Good thing I didn't go on to FOUR!

Let's just say that what we ended up with was a GIGANTIC LOG about 3 feet long and 9 inches in diameter that my son and I could barely lift together. You'd have needed a chain saw to cut the thing.

So Maxi dragged it out to the woods to feed the animals.

And Potato Candy making is now a Legend in our house!

But I'm here to testify that it is YUMMY when you follow the directions!!!

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by Tonya on June 08, 2006 02:02 AM
Merme, I just got a mental image of you and Maxi woth a huge log of potato candy and covered with powdered sugar! I'm glad you enjoyed it, it truly is delicious!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Amigatec on June 13, 2006 01:26 PM
I also tried this recipe, and like Merme I used to many 'tators, it was just awful!!!.

Now I know to use a small tator instead.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Potato bugs| Next thread: Potato Growing????? »
Back to Thread index