The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Poor Man's Fried Rice

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Poor little plant| Next thread: Poorly Aspidistra »
Back to Thread index
by always2shy on April 24, 2006 03:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 or 4 cups cooked rice (must be dry, moist rice does not work well)
6-8 ounces chopped, cooked bacon
3 tablespoons oil or bacon grease
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 eggs - beaten
1/2 head shredded iceberg lettuce

Heat the oil in dutch oven or wok over medium-high heat; Stir in the cooked rice and soy sauce.
Cook, stirring frequently about 3 minutes until thoroughly heated.
Mix in beaten eggs, and stir constantly for about 3-4 minutes.
Stir in lettuce and bacon and toss until mixed; heat for about 1 minute more.
Remove from heat. Cover and let stand about 5 minutes until lettuce is wilted.

* Add cooked chicken, pork or beef instead of bacon if preferred. Use up to 2 cups.
** You can also add sliced mushrooms, water chestnuts, green onions, snow peas....just about anything you prefer.
by penny in ontario on April 26, 2006 04:36 AM
[Wink] [thumb] good one

-
 -

-
by PeppermintLily45 on April 26, 2006 03:22 PM
sounds good

-
 -
by always2shy on April 27, 2006 04:57 PM
Thank you both.

Several years ago, I was really broke. The only food I had in the house was bacon, eggs, lettuce, rice and soy sauce. My kids were hungry and I really didn't know what to feed them. Then I remembered my Mom making fried rice. I improvised on the recipe and made as much as my pots and pans would allow so we could get by. They loved it and even fought over the leftovers.

They are grown now and still ask me to make it for them, just with those 5 original ingredients.
by penny in ontario on April 29, 2006 04:23 AM
again, excellent recipe!!!

-
 -

-
by ksgardnr on May 16, 2006 07:48 AM
Hello all, first time posting here.I love rice!!! Thank you for putting this here, I am gonna try it tonight, let u know how it turns out.

-
 -

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU!=O)
by ksgardnr on May 19, 2006 05:28 AM
I made this and it was DELISH!!! I used rib meat from left over ribs, also added kernel corn, and used 3 eggs and my hubby loved it. [thumb]

-
 -

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU!=O)
by always2shy on May 19, 2006 02:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ksgardnr:
I made this and it was DELISH!!! I used rib meat from left over ribs, also added kernel corn, and used 3 eggs and my hubby loved it. [thumb]
COOL! [clappy] I'm glad you liked it. I like to add an extra egg too but if if don't know what you are doing the rice can get gummy. That's why I reduced it to 2 eggs in the recipe.

I also add as much shredded lettuce as the pot will hold. When I try to stir it, it always falls out on the stove.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Poor little plant| Next thread: Poorly Aspidistra »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: