The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Irises and day lilies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: IRIS TROUBLE| Next thread: Irises and worms »
Back to Thread index
by Redcedar on July 28, 2004 04:04 AM
I need to know the best time to cut back the foliage on irises and daylilies that have finished blooming. Should I wait til the foliage has gone all brown on both of these? Or is it OK to trim them down right after blooming?
by gardenmom32210 on July 28, 2004 02:06 PM
It's a good idea to leave the "brown stuff" as it helps give energy back to the plant for the next growth period. If you didn't cut off the flowers when they were blooming you should have little balls where the flowers were. You can remove these and dry them for the seeds inside!

Hope this helps [flower]

Karen [grin]
by weezie13 on July 28, 2004 05:38 PM
Hi Ya Red!
How you been???
How's school???

I would have to say the same things Gardenmom says!
All that green stuff when it dies back is giving the plant its stored food for next year's growth and flower....

I know it's hard to leave that brown stuff on...
But the plant really needs it....

I sometimes suggest, if the person has the time and reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly wants the brown gone,
to take your sissor's and JUST cut the brown, where it is just turning yellow by the green, leave the yellow!!!
And hand cut it off....
That way, it's a WIN~WIN SITUATION FOR BOTH PLANT AND GARDENER, tidie's up the brown and still leave the good stuff for the plant..
I do that on my side bed by the side walk area people see *the only bed I do that on*

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: IRIS TROUBLE| Next thread: Irises and worms »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: