The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tell me why I shouldn't give up on these roses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Tell me about Astragalus.....| Next thread: temple jade »
Back to Thread index
by murphyette on July 26, 2004 03:31 AM
There were some rosebushes at this house when we moved in last September. I had no clue what I was doing, and cut them back way too far. 3 of the 5 are slowly recovering, and I have even had blooms in between fighting the black spot and bugs. 2 of the bushes, however, don't look so good. One of them only has one healthy cane. Of course, that one healthy cane is growing in a bad direction.
My Mom brought me a rosebush that had been neglected for years. It had a huge sucker growing out of it, and I snapped it off at the root source. Like the other bush, it has one healthy cane left, and it is not really growing outward, but rather straight up.
At what point do you throw in the towel?? How do I know the rosebush with the huge sucker will even grow right? I swear it looks like it has a double bud union??? I am not knowledgeable on how to tell the difference between a climbing rose bush, and a regular rosebush? I have one bush that grows mini pink roses...is this a bush that I should let climb??
Please help.
Here's a couple pics:
The black spot
 -
Sad looking one, I just moved this one to where it will get more sun.
 -
Here is the one my Mom brought me (the one I snapped the huge sucker off from)
 -
And here is where it looks like it has a double bud union??
 -
Poor roses. I am almost ashamed to show the pic's of them. LOL. I feel like a rose murderer. I do have a couple bushes that look OK. I should show those. [Big Grin]

Jody
by frustratedattimes on July 26, 2004 04:27 AM
Your rose bushes will be fine. They just need a little TLC.

First, the one with the black spot. Go to any yard and garden store, and get a fungicide for roses in a spray bottle. Spray the roses every 5 - 7 days, including under the leaves, and the black spot will go away.

The other roses just look like they are in shock. Keep them watered, but do not get the water on the leaves, that contributes to the black spot. Get a rose specific fertilizer and follow the directions. They will pull thru most likely and reward you if not this year then next with wonderful blooms. I never cut my canes back more than 16 in. tall when I prune them.
As for the bugs, you can spray or dust them for that or just let the bugs have thier share too.
I spray mine, because of the Japanese beetles down here in Georgia.

I hope some of this helps.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by moondance on July 26, 2004 04:23 PM
I know your poain! A friend moved into a house and gave me her roses. She didn't have any idea what kind they are. I planted them last year and let them get settled in. They too looked like doggie do do. This year they are looking great-however I still have no idea what they are. Some have long canes like three on them and the rest of the bush is bushie. One of them I cut the canes down so that the roses looked decent-didn't get any roses on it. The one that I left the long canes on had/have roses on it. So I guess that I got rose shrubs. What I am trying to say in a very roundabout way-give them time. I have found that if I pamper my flowers they don't do to good but if I ignore them they seem to do great. I think that they just don't like me. sigh
by weezie13 on July 26, 2004 06:22 PM
Hi Murphyette!!
My first thought when I saw the first rose bush is the ground, and mulch under it....
If they were mine I'd pull back anything that is at the base of it, under the dripline and especially touching the stem....

In the area under where you've cleared out to the drip line, sprinkle in some epsom's salt...
What is your zone you live in?
Here in my zone 5, I would have done it the first of every month..starting in May, June, July and August.
I would only put on one dose as you don't want them sending up way too much new growth because you want them to eventually calm down to go to sleep for the winter....if your zone is close to mine.
I never fert or anything past August first...
(or the first week in August.) Just my rule of thumb.

Second, don't cut them again until spring next year???
When spring comes, sprinkle in some more of the epsom's salt around the base of the plant and then have a pail of dirt (from somewhere's else, not from around the rose) and then bring that dirt up and mound it around the base of the plant *I know that sounds silly, especially after I just told you to take all the mulch away from the base earlier.*~*but they are two different things that will two different things to your plant.*

(ie: the mulch around the base of the stem of the rose, will keep in unwanted moisture and bugs into and upto your rose which is not good for it..
The dirt mounded up around the base of you plant in spring time along with the epsom's salt will promote basal growth *new red canes' from the base of your plant* leave the dirt on until you see those canes peaking thru the dirt, then gentlely pull back that extra dirt, leave it to the drip line of your plant...and every begining of the month do the same thing again....

I will get you the amounts if I can... (I have been having small puter prob's, so I might not come back right away, or have another attack of CRS.. Can't Remember Sh*t.. so remind me!! OKAY!!)

What kind of soil is the plants in??
Looks a bit compact by the picture, but let me know what kind of dirt it is???

Weezie

P.S. I just wanted to say, that there is all types of gardener's and using either the organic way or with chemicals', it's up to the individual gardener...and their preferance.
I personally am a HUGE FAN OF ORGANIC'S..........
mostly because it's cheaper (I compost) and much easier on the plants..
and NON~TOXIC TO ME AND MY CHILDREN...
and I am so forgetfull about when I put what on and so on....
But alot of times in all of my reading that I LOVE to do, the organic way is suggested first, because if the growing requirements are basically not met, it will produce some type of problem, ie: bugs, black spot, powdery mildew, etc.
If you can cure the cause, I would have to say, IMHO that 8 or 9 times out of 10, your problems will go away...

I bought a "what I thought" was a yellow rose,
I wanted it real bad.. but it had black spot on it, from the place I bought it, (WAL~MART) and I've always known you shouldn't buy diseased plants. I'm a sucker and I wanted a cheap yellow rose... anyhow, brought it home, did all the things above..... ((((almost forgot, I had some yellowing black spotted leaves and I pulled most off when I planted and didn't let any new leaves fall and stay on the ground under it...removed them right away, as that will continuate the problem ~is that a word????))))

Anyways, the rose turned out to be a PINK rose [Razz] which I already had 4 of them from before, but it's my best rose that I have...

Oh man, I didn't know this was going to turn out to be such a long post [Embarrassed] [sleepy]

Hope this info helps!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by murphyette on July 26, 2004 06:34 PM
Weezie,
You think they are buried too far? I am in zone 6.
The soil they are in isn't extremely compact, but it isn't like fluff either. I have fertalized them with fish guts and coffee grounds twice this year. I will go pick up some epsom salts today! Do you have a good picture example of how far they should be out of the ground? The info. I have read has said for my zone, that the soil should be right at the bud union...???
I know I need to put mulch up around the bud union for the winter, what month? November? Earlier??
I think you just need to come on over here to my house and help me out. LOL!

Jody
by weezie13 on July 26, 2004 07:07 PM
Murphyette,
I wish I could!!
I would love that!
What fun that would be to meet all the gardener's here.. we have often talked of having a universal get together!!! [thumb]

I am not a huge rose grower, so I am not totally versed on the bud unions...
But I would see if I could find more info for you on the mulch on the plant??????

I am hoping some one who's more versed on that type of rose???
I am more inclined that it would be dirt????

Anyone/??????????????????????????

Mulch can invite bugs *that would in nature help in the decomping process out* close to your plants base....... which in turn isn't good for the plant.
The dirt however would be an insulating factor...
and in the spring acts as blanket I guess to signal the plant to send up new growth from the base.. not exactly sure of the science of it???

Organic ferts would be like Alfalfa Meal, Blood Meal, Bone Meal, Cottonseed Meal, Fish Emulsion, Fish Meal, Compost ~*makes happy soil, etc...
There's a ton more...

But basically a happy plant is one that is just that, happy..
And it takes a while of watching a plant, seeing what it does, watching the weather, and see what happens when it's cold out side early in the season, or wet, or too dry..or too hot...
Adding something when it's stressed and what re~action it had, and it's alot of trial and error..
Alot of bugs are caused by too fast of green growth like from the granular ferts (like aphids)...and that's what sends a signal out to the bugs sayin' "HEY, I'm not right here, I got a bunch of new, tender, sweet, growth on me, that came too fast, so come feed."

But you keep to a basic rule of thumb on the health of the plant, and it'll do just fine..

Actually the plants that you have there dont' look that bad compared to some I've seen!!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tell me about Astragalus.....| Next thread: temple jade »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: