The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Black-eyed Susan & Purple Coneflower Flowering From Seed Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Black Worms in cantaloupe| Next thread: Blackberries »
Back to Thread index
by daylily77 on September 10, 2006 06:02 PM
Have any of you grown Black Eyed Susan and/or Purple Coneflower from seed? I sowed some last week and was wondering if they will flower the first year or not. Thanks a lot!
by SpringFever on September 10, 2006 07:54 PM
HI I have grown some from seed... The Black Eyed susans will bloom first year but not the Cone Flowers ...At least that was my experiance.. The Susans self seed like crazy too..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by patches1414 on September 11, 2006 03:24 AM
Daylily, I've never tried growing "Rudbeckia" black-eyed Susan from seed so I can't help you there. [dunno] Sorry! [Frown] I have grown "Echinacea" Coneflowers from seed, but I don't believe they bloomed the same year I planted them. It's been while ago so I can't be sure. [dunno] I don't grow too many things from seeds anymore.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by daylily77 on September 12, 2006 04:21 PM
Thanks so much for the info, Patti and Rita! [flower]
by roflol on September 15, 2006 01:05 AM
Oh, dear..... two days ago I was cleaning out the rock garden where I had planted a "purple" (=dark pink) coneflower plant from Wal-Mart that's always done well. There were a bunch of plants that had what seemed like the same leaves but no flowers and I thought "Meh, some pretender weeds," and yanked em. Dang.

Now I realize they were first year coneflowers. Guess I'll check and see if they're still alive in the heap... LOL. I never realized they didn't bloom the first year.

But be aware, they will spread by seed if you leave the seed heads for the birds.

:-)
by patches1414 on September 15, 2006 01:55 PM
Hi Neighbor! [wavey]

I live in Illinois, and I'm just across the river from St. Louis, so I guess that sort of makes us like neighbors! [Wink] I've heard of Lee Summit before, but I'm not really sure where it is? [dunno]

quote:
I was cleaning out the rock garden where I had planted a "purple" (=dark pink) coneflower plant from Wal-Mart that's always done well. There were a bunch of plants that had what seemed like the same leaves but no flowers and I thought "Meh, some pretender weeds," and yanked em. Dang.
Oh yeah, I've been there and done that so many times, [tears] until I learned it was just as important to learn what all the different leaves look like, [Wink] as it was the flowers. This was really a valuable lesson to learn and it has helped increase the number of plants I now own. [thumb]

quote:
be aware, they will spread by seed if you leave the seed heads for the birds.

Oh, if only I could be that lucky! [Big Grin] I have to get out there and collect some seeds before my birds strip the seed heads clean! Geesh, I don't think you can ever have too many coneflowers! I love [Love] them!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Black Worms in cantaloupe| Next thread: Blackberries »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: