The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sarissa

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: santa sweets grape tomatos| Next thread: Satsumas & Kumquats... »
Back to Thread index
by Kratz7 on August 14, 2006 12:12 PM
Does anyone know if Sarissa (not sure of technical name) can "Winter - Over" in Pennsylvania? I know it may be grown as a Bonsi and that it gets a pretty white flower on it . The flower looks like a micro rose, I have been growing it indoors for years. Now this year I planted it out for the Summer, but would like to know if I can leave it or must I bring it in?

Thanks,

Kratz7
P.S.
feel free to check out my gardening photos on photobucket.com
look for Charlie7

-

Kratz7 Photos
by TulsaRose on August 14, 2006 01:07 PM
Sarissa is a new one for me, Charlie, but I did find one reference you might want to take a look at. Click on this link to Australian Native Landscapes. Lots of bonsai information too. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by zuzu's petals on August 14, 2006 02:02 PM
Hi Charlie, [wavey] I'm not familiar with Sarissa either,
but I wonder if you might possibly be referring to Carissa ("Natal Plum")
which is sometimes grown as a Bonsai, and does produce small white flowers.
Perhaps there is a double flowered variety which is rose-like in appearance. [dunno]

je mange, donc je suis
~~~ rene dessertcart

My Albums
by netwiz on August 14, 2006 03:36 PM
Could be Serissa. Snow Rose was the common name I found. It is only hardy in zones 8 to 10.

Joanne
by zuzu's petals on August 15, 2006 03:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by netwiz:
Could be Serissa.
Snow Rose was the common name I found.
It is only hardy in zones 8 to 10.

Joanne

Oooo, pretty!
Good find, Joanne, I'll bet that's it! [clappy]

je mange, donc je suis
~~~ rene dessertcart

My Albums
by ND farm girl on August 15, 2006 05:05 AM
Love the pics - I need to take the time to look more closely! The cactus zinia caught my eye!

PattyM
by Kratz7 on August 21, 2006 09:00 AM
Hi,

I went and looked th the photos of serissa you're right it id the snow rose variety....it is very easy to grow indoors and grts a beautiful tiny white flower. I get new plants by taking cuttings off my plants, sticking the bottom in rooting powder and then putting it in a small glass of water for a few weeks. It will root pretty quick, oh yeah don;t forget to reomove all the leaves off the part you're putting in water ...it will eventually make a slimt mess otherwise. I try my hands at making bonsai trees from the serissas... you need to remember to check them for moisture as they tend to dry out fast (the flower pots you use hold aot less soil for a bonsai)
good luck

I still don't know if they will winter over in Pennsylvania.....any ideas?

Kratz7

-

Kratz7 Photos
by TulsaRose on August 21, 2006 09:13 AM
Here's a good website with loads of info about Serissa\Bonsai.

I doubt it would overwinter outside in your zone, Charlie.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by joclyn on August 21, 2006 04:44 PM
serissa is the correct name.

i got a couple of them at the flower show in philly this past spring...wanted to do the usual bonsai thing with them.

no, they aren't hardy for this area.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: santa sweets grape tomatos| Next thread: Satsumas & Kumquats... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: