The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

rooting hibiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by kennyso on August 13, 2006 08:35 AM
I tried to root rose of sharon in water, I've seen a lot of callouse around the cut, but still no roots, I'm changing the water every other day cuz I still see air bubbles on th side of the bottle meaning there is still oxygen in the water.

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by TulsaRose on August 13, 2006 10:02 AM
I usually just stick cuttings in potting soil and let them root there. Some people use the rooting hormone powder to speed things up.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardenfairy on August 13, 2006 11:38 AM
I have gotten mine to root by placing them in water. I would try placing a cutting in potting soil with rooting hormone, or you could try and take one of the lower branches and dig a trench, knick the branch, pull the branch down into the trench cover with dirt and place something like a brick there, when it root just cut it away from the plant. I have successfully rooted azaleas and hydrangeas this way.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by patches1414 on August 13, 2006 08:22 PM
I'veve never tried to propagate a Tropical Hibiscus, but here's what I did with a Hardy Hibiscus. I used a clean Exacto Knife to cut off about 10" of the new growth, about 1/2" below a set of leaves. I took off all the leaves at the bottom of the cutting, but I left a couple sets of leaves at the top. Then I stuck the bottom part of the cutting in Clonex Rooting Compound (or you can use any rooting hormone) and put it some potting soil. I made sure that at least two of the sets of leaves I cut off were covered by the soil. I kept the soil moistened, but not soaked, and then made sure it didn't get any direct sunlight until after I saw some new leaves sprouting.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Longy on August 13, 2006 11:06 PM
As an aside, you can use pure honey as a rooting aid. Beats mucking about with hormone powder.

-
The secret is the soil.
by patches1414 on August 13, 2006 11:14 PM
Actually, Longy, the Clonex Rooting Compound is not a powder, [Frown] it is a gel and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: