The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pepper seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pepper Question| Next thread: pepper stems- black? »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on July 17, 2006 07:20 AM
I am growing some Anahiem Peppers. I've been making a lot of chili rellanos and am beginning to wonder if I can use the seeds for next year? How can I tell if the seeds are mature and is there anything special that I need to do to the seeds for next year? THanks so much!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on July 17, 2006 08:40 AM
I don't know anything specific about anahiem peppers but for bell peppers as long as the peppers where fully mature when they were picked then the seeds are viable. And the only thing I do is let them air dry for a day or two so they don't mold inside the packages.

-
 -
by Triss on July 17, 2006 08:45 AM
Sarah, I do the same as Tammy, just rinse them off and dry them.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by LandOfOz on July 17, 2006 11:08 AM
Do you think that a red pepper is probably fully mature? I'm going to have to leave a few peppers on there just to let them turn red. Also, do peppers cross pollinate? I've also got some jalapenos and bell peppers. I'm so sick of my bell pepper plant, the thing only produces these golf-ball sized peppers--about one every 2 months!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Triss on July 17, 2006 11:16 AM
Peppers can cross pollinate. I have also collected viable seeds from green peppers. I do not think you have to wait for them to get red, just the right size.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by njoynit on July 17, 2006 02:38 PM
If your bells are small in size they may need increase in watering.My one plant had smaller ones but when it got added more mulch and watered more the next crop was larger& I don't have to wait a week to get 4 peppers for dinner its getting 4-6 at a time ripening now& my cyannes have took off like 100s all over the plants.
I dry my seeds and store them in paper envelope in storage container.I do sow them later cause they like warmer soil.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by LandOfOz on July 18, 2006 02:03 PM
Thanks for all the imput! I'm going to try to grow some seed from next year...although I"m not sure that I'll get any sort of useful plant--my peppers are all in one area, so they very well might be making hybrids!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on July 22, 2006 12:58 AM
I know the feeling. But I think maybe the Boldog Hungarian Spice Peppers maybe far enough away from the rest to bred true. Or so I hope.

Remember when growing them from seed they like about 80 degrees for germination otherwise they will take forever to sprout. Last spring I was so sure my seeds weren't viable because they took like a month to sprout. But it was just because I had the airconditioner on lol. They made up for their long germination by growing tall very quickly.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pepper Question| Next thread: pepper stems- black? »
Back to Thread index