The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Does Anyone make "Canned Cakes"?

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by comfrey on October 24, 2005 11:58 AM
I was wondering whether anyone makes canned cakes and wanted to share recipes???

I have quite a few good canned cake recipes, but always looking for more. I have a cherry almond canned cake recipe that is to die for it is great!!!

-
 -
by weezie13 on October 27, 2005 11:28 AM
Okay, I gotta ask........
What is a "CANNED CAKE"????????? [dunno] ??????

I've heard of Mixes in Jars, but not canned cake?

Oh, wait, my mom used to get brown bread in a can,
is that the same????

Do tell~~~~~~ [gabby] [critic] [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by comfrey on October 27, 2005 12:34 PM
Canned cake is where you put your cake mix (not just any cake recipe will work, it has to be a very moist cake) in a wide mouth canning/freezer type jar and bake it in the jar, in the oven...when done quickly wipe rim of jar and put canning flat & ring on...as it cools the jar seals....You have canned cake on the shelf with all of your other canned goods...These cakes will keep for years in the jar...Each jar cake makes 4 good size pieces, they are handy when company drops over esp in winter, when you can offer a nice cup of herbal tea and alittle cake to go with it.

-
 -
by weezie13 on October 28, 2005 05:45 AM
OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT....

SEND ANY RECIPE YOU HAVE...

WOULD [Cool] LLLLLLLLLLLLOVE [Love] TO SEE [critic] IT!!!

I am soooooooooo glad I asked this question..
These sound like alot of fun!!!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Lucy Lou on October 28, 2005 07:28 AM
Well, I know they are fun, but you can get botulism from them. You can bake them, not put on the lid, and then either put on the lid after they are cool, and freeze or keep in the fridge for a couple days.
The glass can shatter in the oven, so be careful !
I really am not trying to put a damper on the fun, just want you to be safe.
They contain eggs, flour, butter or some sort of fat, so they are all things that cannot be safely canned.
by comfrey on October 28, 2005 09:04 AM
Well we have been eating them for years and no one has even gotten sick from them...but I suppose that if they didn't seal then this would be true, about being unsafe. It does have to be a jar that is marked for freezer/canning. And you can't let them cool before putting the flat and ring on...as it cools it creates a vacuum making it seal. As far as getting them out of the jar in one piece, the jar is greased with shortening before cake batter is placed in, and with one good shake the cake comes out whole. So Weezie if you want I can either post the entire process or put up a few links where you can read more about it. I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers or cause anyone any harm in anyway.

-
 -
by moondance on October 29, 2005 05:48 AM
Ya gotta give the receipe. I picture a cake mix in a large jar okay but when mixed up and bake doesn't it come up over the top etc?
by ChristinaC on October 29, 2005 07:54 AM
You won't ruffle my feathers comfrey. I'd love to have the recipe!!!
Christina

-
 -
by WyoMom on October 29, 2005 01:25 PM
I second that thought. That would be such a nice thing to have especially during the hot weather when I hate to turn my oven on. If you feel uncomfortable posting the recipe please feel free to PM me.
Thanks,
Nancy
by weezie13 on October 29, 2005 07:45 PM
I'd say it was okay to either...

We always like to have the basic info here,
for all to read...
instead of going from site to site..
but still would love to have a recipe or two
for my self and others....

It really does sound like a cute idea..

I have never canned anything because of all
of like Lucy Lou discribes.... I am so scared
I didn't do it right, or it wasn't at the right temp., or something I didn't do right..
but just as the novelity of it, sounds cute for
a party or something...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on October 30, 2005 09:05 AM
Almond-Cherry Bread In A Jar

Yield: 12 Servings
9 pints jars; wide mouth ONLY

2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cup maraschino cherries; drained and dried
1/2 cup almonds; blanched and ground
1/4 cup flour; (second)
1 1/2 cup sugar
8 oz cream cheese; softened
1 cup butter or margarine;-softened
1 tsp. almond extract
4 eggs; (room temperature)
Cut maraschino cherries

You will need 9 wide mouth pint-size canning jars, metal rings and lids.
Don't use any other size jars. Sterilize jars, lids and rings according to
manufacturer's directions. Grease inside, but not the rim of jars. (Do not
use butter, margarine or PAM). Mix flour & baking soda and set aside. Mix cherries, ground almonds and 1/4 cup of flour and set aside. Cream together the sugar, cream cheese, butter and almond extract until light and fluffy. Slowly add the flour/baking powder mixture, mixing well. Fold in the cherry/almond/flour mixture until well mixed.
Pour one cup of batter into prepared jars. Do not use more than one cup or batter will overflow and jar will not seal. Place jars evenly spaced on a
cookie sheet. Place in a preheated 325 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove jars from oven one at a time keeping remaining jars in oven. Working quickly, wipe rim, place lid and ring on jar and secure. Jars will seal quickly. Repeat with remaining jars. Unsealed jars should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten
within 2 weeks.
Sealed jars may be stored with other canned food or placed in a freezer.
The cake is safe to eat as long as the jar remains vacuum sealed and free from mold.
NOTES : To make loaves instead of cakes in jars: Pour batter into 2
greased loaf pans (9 inch) and bake in preheated 325 degree F oven for about 1 hour or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan or on wire rack

-
 -
by comfrey on October 30, 2005 09:05 AM
Apple Cake in a Jar

Ingredients:
2/3 cup shortening
2-2/3 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup water
3 cups grated apple
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
8 Each straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars with l

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease the insides of 8 straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and beat in well. Add flour alternately with water and mix until smooth. Fold in apples, raisins and nuts.
3. Fill jars 1/2 full of batter, being careful to keep the rims clean. Wipe off any batter that gets on the rims. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.
4. As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.
5. Unsealed jars should be eaten or kept in refrigerator for up to a week. Sealed jars can be stored with other canned food for up to a year.

-
 -
by comfrey on October 30, 2005 09:07 AM
Carrot-Raisin Bread In A Jar

2- 2/3 cups White Sugar
2/3 cup Vegetable Shortening
4 Eggs
2/3 cup Water
2 cups shredded Carrots
3 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
1/4 tsp. Cloves
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup Raisins

You will need 6 wide-mouth pint-size canning jars, metal rings and lids. Don't use any other size jars. Sterilize jars, lids and rings according to manufacturer's directions. Grease inside, but not the rim of jars.

Cream sugar and shortening, beat in eggs and water, add carrots. Sift together flour, cloves, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to batter. Add raisins and mix.

Pour one cup of batter into prepared jars. Do not use more than one cup or batter will overflow and jar will not seal. Place jars evenly spaced on a cookie sheet. Place in a pre-heated 325-degree oven for 45 minutes. While cakes are baking, bring a saucepan of water to a boil and carefully add jar lids.

Remove pan from heat and keep hot until ready to use. Remove jars from oven one at a time keeping remaining jars in oven. Make sure jar rims are clean. (If they're not, jars will not seal correctly) Place lids on jars and screw rings on tightly. Jars will seal as they cool. Cakes will slide right out when ready to serve.

-
 -
by comfrey on October 30, 2005 09:09 AM
Applesauce Cake in Jars

2/3 c Shortening
2 2/3 c Granulated sugar
4 ea Large eggs
2 c Applesauce
2/3 c Water
3 1/3 c All-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 ts Baking powder
2 ts Baking soda
1 1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Ground cinnamon
2 ts Ground cloves
2/3 c Nuts; chopped,optional

Sterilize 8 pint wide mouth canning jars, lids and rings by boiling for 10 minutes. Remove the jars and allow to air-dry and cool. Leave the lids and rings in the hot water until ready to use.

Once the jars are cool enough to handle, grease them (use a pastry brush) with shortening (DO NOT use Pam or Baker's Secret); set aside. Cream together the shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the applesauce and water; set aside.

In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Blend dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture.

Fold in the nuts. Pour batter into the jars, filling them about 1/2 full.

Place jars onto a cookie sheet or they'll fall over. Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until a pick inserted deep into the center of each cake comes out clean. Remove jars from the oven, one-at-a-time (use HEAVY-DUTY MITTS, the jars ARE HOT!); place a lid, then a ring on top and screw down tightly.

Place jars onto your counter top to cool. You'll know when the jars have sealed, you'll hear a plinking sound. If you missed the sound, test them by pressing down on the lids once the jars have cooled--they shouldn't move at all.

Store jars in a cool, dry place. They should keep for about a year.

-
 -
by angelblossom on October 30, 2005 11:14 AM
Comfrey : Talk about bringing back childhood memories!! WOW My mother and grandmother made jar cakes.. My grndmother said she'd make them and mailed to soldiers in WW2 to Germany and France..And my Mother sent to Vietnam The two I can remember (I know they did more than two just don't remember, ) I believe it was a pumpkin-spice and datenut breads/jar cakes they also baked them in cans (like a corn or greenbean can) and took them around at Christmas to give to those less fortunate If you're interested in the pumpkin spice or datenut I'll look them up for ya! Thanks for the bringing the memories back [Cool] [angel]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by comfrey on October 30, 2005 11:27 AM
Thanks Angelblossom, Yes I would be interested...I have quite a few more recipes for Canned cakes, and anything that has fruit, like raisins or dates or dried fruit will be a moister cake when opened. Also On like the apple, applesauce cakes...If you have applesauce a spoonful or too ontop of the cake is a nice addition when served.

-
 -
by angelblossom on October 30, 2005 11:46 AM
Okay Comfrey >> Give me couple of days to get back to you on the reciepes [critic] [gabby] Can we use the chunky applesauce in place of reg apple sauce??? Yumm Yumm on the toppings great for office gifts too.. Post more reciepes PLZZ ! Guess my winter week-ends have just been planned out [Big Grin] [thinker] Thanks... [grin] [angel]

-
 -
by moondance on October 30, 2005 11:57 AM
Oh wow!! thnks this sound fantastic- I am going to try the first one cherry I believe it was. Lucky for me have have a few jars left. I think that this would abe a perfect gift to send to my kids for Yule!. cool!

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do: the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.
by 4Ruddy on October 30, 2005 02:17 PM
NOw I am going to have to dig up some jars! I have never ever heard of Jar cakes...that is SO very neat! I thought my grandmother had canned about everything...but I don't remember her ever doing cakes! Thanks for sharing these recipes...I will be watching for the pumpkin spice one!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by angelblossom on October 31, 2005 09:04 AM
okay My mother gave in a gave me the Pumpkin spice and Pina Colada reciepe(s)for JAR CAKE she's still looking for datenut but said instead of raisens in carrot cake or bread use dates instead with finely chopped walnuts to your likeing...
PUMPKIN SPICE
8 widemouth jars
8 New lids
1 cup raisens
2 cups Unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ginger
4 eggs- whipped
2 cups grandulated sugar
1 cup Margarine -softened
2 cups pumpkin (canned is fine)

Preheat oven at 325
Place a baking sheet into middle rack, remove top rack.
BEFORE starting batter, wash jars, lids and rings in hot soapy water, let dry and cool to room temp.
GENEROUSLY prepare inside of jars with Margarine.
useing a pastry brush helps.
To prepare Batter...
Combine raisens, flour, bakingsoda, baking powder, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger in a mixing bowl.
IN ANOTHER MIXING BOWL... combine
eggs, sugar, margarine,and pumpkin.. mix throughly, and then combine the two bowls..
Divide batter into 8 jars should be slightly less than half full. Carefully wipe of ANY dipping(s) from rims of jars ( using a large spout funnel helps eliminante dipping on rims).
Place jars on baking sheet in the center of the oven.
bake 40 minutes.
When cakes are done remove one at a time from oven and immediately (careful--HOT) place rings and lids and tighten... place jars on cooling rack,, should keep for approx 6 months BUT Periodically Check lids to make sure vacuum still exist... . My mother said she never had a problem with the lids(popping)-(releasing vacuum).. and said as the jars are cooling if it;s quite in the house you can hear the jars as they seal make a slight dull pop sound then you'll know the jars sealed correctly..

Pina Colada

1 Can Pinapple-(20oz) crushed
1 cup Margarine- at room temp.
3&1/2 cups Brown sugar- packed
4 eggs- whipped
1/2 cup RUM (we prefer the spiced Rum) to your preference.(coconut rum is good for this also)
3&1/3 cups unbleached flour
1&1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1cup coconut -shredded
Preheat oven at 325...
BEFORE preparing batter prepare lids, rings as stated in above reciepe..
Generously use shortening, then flour inside of jars.
DRAIN pinapple for 10 minutes, reserving juice.
Puree drained pinapple in a blender.
Measure out 1&1/2 cups puree, adding a little juice if necc to measure out 1&1/2 cups. Set puree aside. Discard remaining juice.
In mixing bowl combine butter, Brownsugar beat untill light and fluffy, beat in eggs and pinapple puree, rum last,-- set aside
in another mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda Gradually add to pinapple mixture 1/3 at a time beating well with each addition. Stir in coconut .
One level cup into each jar. place on cookie sheet in center of oven
Bake 40 Minutes..
Remove one jar at a time place ring/lids immediately.. cool on rack

Zucchini
4 Jars
4 NEW lids

3 eggs-whipped
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup margarine (room temp)
2 cups zucchini - grated
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cloves
Preheat oven 325 .. baking rack in middle of oven, remove top rack and prepare lids and rings as stated above.
Generously prepare inside of jars with margarine.
Prepare Batter: combine flour,salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves.
In another bowl combine eggs, sugar, margarine, and zucchini.beat well. Combine bowls and blend well.
Divide into 4 jars should be slightly less than half full.
Bake 40 minutes
Remove jars one at a time and immediately place rings and lids... cool on rack(s) listen for vacumm seal (Dull popping sound) to assure jars sealed correctly if Not then eat the cake within a week, store in refrigerater if it didn't seal.
Extra reciepe-

Christmas Cinnamon Ornaments
1cup applesause
1 ounce cinnamon
1 ounce grd.cloves
1 ounce grd. nutmeg
1 ounce grd. ginger
cinnamon for cutting board

Combine ingredients to make stiff dough.
Roll out on board dusted with cinnamon.
Cut with cookie cutters of your choice.
Put hole in top for string/ribbon.
Lay flat to dry.
Turn over every 12 hours untill completely dry.

Okay , That's all I've got for now .. Enjoy!!

[thumb] [angel]

-
 -
by comfrey on October 31, 2005 11:16 AM
Thanks for sharing Angelblossom! I'll add these to my collection.

-
 -
by comfrey on October 31, 2005 11:29 AM
I went and looked through my recipes, because your Christmas Cinnamon Ornaments, sounded like one my mom had given me, She uses a bear cookie cutter and these work great hanging in your car as an air freshener or of course on the tree, they smell wonderful!

Cinnamon Bears

3/4 cup smooth Apple sauce
4 oz. cinnamon
1-1/2 T cloves
1 T Nutmeg
2 T White Glue (like elmers)

In a medium bowl, combine cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Mix well. Mix glue into the Apple sauce. Add to dry ingredients, Mix well. Knead for several minutes, until smooth. Roll out dough on a smooth surface to 1/4" thick and cut into shapes or use cookie cutters.

Bake in 250 degree oven until hard. A dehydrator will work to dry them.

I cut paper clips in half and stick them in the dough to make hangers, But you could poke holes in the top before you dry them and hang with a ribbon or string.

-
 -
by angelblossom on November 01, 2005 08:25 AM
Comfrey.. And the ornaments last for years.. My daughters and I made some when they were in grade school and we still have some of them ...This year my grandkids have reached the age now that WE can do it with them... Starting on Jar cakes this week end ,,, makeing almond/ cherry and pumpkin spice getting ready for the hollidays as you know this year went by too fast.. this year there will be a lot of reciepents of jar cake thanks to you bringing back home cooking ideas that are dying off to share with friends and families... Also can do the same thing with cookie reciepe called cookie layering .. use any standard (from stratch) cookie reciepe and Layer DRY ingrediants , always starting with the amount called for brownsugar packed , in the bottom of mason jars , layer additonal measured ingredients including choc chips, butterscotch, gumdrops,m&m's, to top off jar.. attach reciepe to ribbon around lid.. reciever only has to add eggs. butter/shortning., and vanilla per reciepe, bake and enjoy... BUT this year I'm Doing Jar Cakes/Breads.... for gifts especially at the work place... and friends...
Thanks..........
[gabby] [clappy] [angel]

-
 -
by comfrey on November 01, 2005 11:01 AM
I think I am going to try your ornament recipe, and make special ornaments for everyone. The Cinnamon Bear that my mother made for me is around 10 years old and I can still smell the cinnamon scent, just not as strong as it was to begin with.

-
 -
by angelblossom on November 02, 2005 11:28 AM
Comfrey Do ayou have any jar cake reciepes that have choc chips in it OR some type of choc, heath bar etc?? OR A Sweet-potato bread Reciepe.. ?? Thanks for any one(s) you can find and post [lala] [grin] [angel]

-
 -
by Lucy Lou on November 05, 2005 03:07 PM
Here is the link to FoodSafety on the risk of botulism.
http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/jar_bread.htm
by miss alabama on April 24, 2006 10:24 AM
i cant wait ti try this is sounds so cool to do it.i love to bake and this would be great i think.thanks for posting this and if you got more recipes put them here please..

donna
by ChillnPepper on May 10, 2006 04:17 AM
Those are such great sounding recipes!

I, however am a bit lazy...I use the 'moist' cake mixes right from the store. You know the kind! Add an egg or two, some veg. oil, etc., fill the greased jars half full, bake n seal.

Great for camping/hunting/road trips. I have also made cornbreads and 'canned' them. That worked out well too. Just add a lil' veg. oil to the recipe and 'git on down the road!' [Wink]

-
"Live simply; expect little, give much...scatter sunshine."
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by sibyl on January 09, 2007 04:01 PM
comfrey this is cool! [thumb] ive helped my sister for years canning vegies but never a cake!
gotta tell her about this [clappy]

-
 -
by plantqueen on January 13, 2007 02:42 AM
I think this sounds like a really neat idea! I would like to try this! Did you have good luck with these Angelblossom?

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by hisgal2 on January 13, 2007 05:22 AM
I must have been on a hole somewhere lately! I did not see this thread until just now and I'm just amazed!!! Stephen and I were JUST talking about what to send to BZ in Iraq this month. I think I'm going to try one of these recipes to send to the men....if they like it, then I'll try another to send to them.

-
 -

-
by hisgal2 on February 08, 2007 02:36 AM
Angelblossom,
Do you happen to know how many jars the Pina Colada recipe will fill?

-
 -

-
by amazingrace on March 12, 2007 12:22 AM
this is great. i have never heard of anything like it. i can't wait to make one. thanks for sharing
by comfrey on March 12, 2007 03:49 AM
Most of the canned cake recipes fills 4-6 jars. One important thing to remember when doing this is to not fill the jars more then 2/3 full, and take one out of the oven at a time and wipe clean the jar rim and quickly place your flat and ring on, before it cools off. Almost any cake or bread recipe will work, but if you want it to not be dry tasting...use recipes that have some sort of fruit like raisins, carrots & dates. Oh one more thing...The jars have to be freezer type wide mouth jars.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 12, 2007 03:54 AM
Chocolate Cake In A Jar

1 stick plus 3 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine
3 cups White Sugar
4 Eggs
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
2 cups Applesauce, unsweetened
3 cups White Flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp. Salt

Prewash 8 pint-sized wide mouth canning jars (be sure to use the kind that have no shoulders) in hot, soapy water. Rinse well, dry and let them come to room temperat ure. Grease insides of jar well.

Beat together butter and half of sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and remaining sugar, vanilla and applesauce. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the applesauce mixture a little at a time: beat well after each addition .

Pour one cup of batter into each jar and carefully remove any batter from the rims. Place jars in a preheated 325-degree oven and bake for 40 minutes. While cakes are baking, bring a saucepan of water to a boil and carefully add jar lids. Remove pan from heat and keep lids hot until ready to use.

When the cakes have finished baking, remove jars from oven. Make sure jar rims are clean. (If they're not, jars will not seal correctly) Place lids on jars, and screw rings on tightly. Jars will seal as they cool. Cakes will slide right out when ready to serve.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 12, 2007 03:55 AM
Fruitcake In A Jar

2 2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
2 cup fruit; (see note)
3 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 ts ground cloves
1 ts cinnamon
1 ts baking powder
2 ts baking soda
1 ts salt
2/3 cup raisins or nuts

Use wide mouth pint size canning jars, do not use mayonnaise jars, etc. Be
sure to sterilize the jars, and tops according to manufacturer's directions.
Grease the inside but not the rim of the jars.
To make batter: dredge the raisins and/or nuts in some of the flour. Cream together the sugar and shortening.
Beat in the eggs and water. Add the fruit. Sift together the flour,
cloves, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the batter, if desired, add raisins and/or nuts and mix.
Note - the two cups of fruit is up to you. You can use any mixture of
fruit that you like but no more than two cups. Two cups grated apple+- 1 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup pineapple, 2 cups shredded carrots, mashed bananas,etc.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 12, 2007 03:56 AM
Banana Nut Bread Baked in a Jar

Ingredients
2/3 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 cups mashed bananas
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2/3 cup chopped pecans

Directions
Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, bananas, and water.

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to banana mixture. Stir in nuts. Pour mixture into greased WIDE MOUTH pint jars, filling 1/2 full of batter. Do NOT put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims.

Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) about 45 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.

As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.

Unsealed jars should be eaten or kept in refrigerator for up to a week. Sealed jars can be stored with other canned food for up to a year.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 12, 2007 03:57 AM
Gingerbread Baked in Jars

· 2 1/4 c Flour (all-purpose)
· 3/4 c Sugar
· 1 ts Baking soda
· 1/2 ts Baking powder
· 1/4 ts Salt
· 2 ts Ginger (ground)
· 1 ts Cinnamon (ground)
· 1/2 ts Cloves (ground)
· 3/4 c Margarine (softened)
· 3/4 c Water
· 1/2 c Molasses
Preheat oven to 325-degrees (NO higher).

Sterilize 5 (12 oz) Ball Quilted Crystal (#14400-81400) jam/jelly canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the water and allow them to air-dry on your counter top; leave the lids and rings in the hot water until you're ready to use them.

Once the jars are cool enough to handle, use a pastry brush to grease them with shortening (DO NOT use butter, margarine, PAM or Baker's Secret); set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in margarine, water and molasses until well blended. Divide batter among the 5 jars (they should be about 1/2 full). Place jars onto a cookie sheet or they'll tip over.

Bake in preheated 325-degree oven for 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Move the jars around in the oven while they're baking, so they'll bake evenly.

Have your HOT lids ready. Using HEAVY-DUTY MITTS (the jars ARE HOT!) Take one jar at a time from the oven and place a lid on, then the ring. Tightly screw on lids--do it FAST because the lid gets REAL hot! Allow jars to cool on your countertop.

Once the jars are cool, decorate with round pieces of cloth. Unscrew the ring (the lid should be sealed by now) and place a few cotton balls or a wad of batting on top of the lid (makes it poof-y on top), then a piece of cloth (about 3" larger than the lid) on top and screw the ring back on.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 12, 2007 04:04 AM
I'm droolin' here Comfrey!!!
I don't know which one sounds better!! [grin] [thumb] [grin] [clappy] [grin] [Cool] [grin] [Love]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by plantqueen on March 12, 2007 06:44 PM
They all sound excellent! I will have to try making some of these! [thumb]

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: