The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Amber J Your Pitcher Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by angelblossom on May 15, 2006 03:30 PM
Amber Hi,, Did you get your Pitcher plant??
I haven't seen any post about it yet and was curious if you got it , did it survive shipping??
Mine has a lot of new top growth and the pitchers them self haven't swiveled up any more that last time I posted a pic. We've had rain off and on and humid weather and it seems to love being by an open window .
Any way I was just wondering and does anyone else here have one??

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Aaron D on May 15, 2006 03:38 PM
as soon as i can get a green house i am going to start collecting the tropical pitcher plants!!!
by angelblossom on May 15, 2006 03:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron D:
as soon as i can get a green house i am going to start collecting the tropical pitcher plants!!!
Oh goody [clappy] [clappy] Someone close to home!! SOOOOO Are you building your own ?? Please let us know when you start collecting. I love My pitcher! It's a great conversation piece , everyone loves it because it's soo different than the norm of houseplants.. I'm excited for you Aaron That's Great!! If I could type in Green thats the color I feel.. wish I could have a green house,, [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Amber J on May 16, 2006 07:58 PM
I got mine, but it's soooooo dry here that I have to keep it in my terrarium. For some reason, the guy sent me one with NO pitchers on it! I don't know if he cut them off or what? So, it doesn't look so great right now - that's why I haven't posted any pics. I'll keep you updated though!!
by angelblossom on May 17, 2006 01:23 PM
Oh Good You got it,, Did you contact the shipper and inquire about the pitchers? was there any guarentee .. Plz keep us updated,, I have a lot of new leaves I don't know if pitchers will develope on them or not, I found a site that really goes into detail about them and the plant has to be really healthy for new Pitchers to form ,, So I will keep an update as well...

-
 -
by JV on May 17, 2006 08:56 PM
Diane : How are you where did you get your Pitcher plant. Also saw one on another sight they called it dutchmans pipe and showed photo of the Pitcher Plant you have. Are they the same or did they mess up? If so I wont buy one from them.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by angelblossom on May 19, 2006 05:05 PM
Jimmy A dutchmans pipe is a carnivorous. A variety of it is a vine that developes 'flowers' that have a mouth shape, that intraps it's prey. as well as the pitcher variety simular to the shape of mine there are many many varietys tho mine is the 'Nepenthes coccinea'
I got it at Callaways in Feb(I think) they had several for a few weeks but the $$ was too much for me I went in one Friday after work and a worker I'd developed a reppore with gave in and sold the last one to me for 10.00 What a deal!!
From what I understand the Nepenthes can do well enough without being in a terrarium enviorment provided there is enough humidity with out one,, I use distilled water or rain water only and only mist it with it same water, I keep it moist but not wet (like a wrung out sponge) and it seems happy enough,, Lots of new growth Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for new pitchers to develope on the new leave-tips ,
Sorry I didn't mean to go on and on [Wink]
So to answer your question I suppose because it has the shape of a pitcher is then is termed a pitcher plant.. Seeings how I'm new to this as well that's just my best guess..
Have you called around locally to nurserys maybe you could find one close to home and see 1st hand what your getting.. [dunno]

-
 -
by Aaron D on May 20, 2006 04:58 PM
yea im building my own and filling it with my cacti and succulents with some bromeliads and if its humid enough i am going to fill with temperate carnivores!!!!!
by Aaron D on May 20, 2006 04:59 PM
hey maybe you and i can start a carnivorous plant society!!!
by angelblossom on May 22, 2006 06:33 AM
Aaron Hey May-Beee!!!! Couldn't you regulate the humidity to satisfy carnivores in a green-house envoirment and succulants as well??

-
 -
by Rite2u on August 27, 2006 04:03 PM
Hi all.
I bought a pitcher plant from Lowes about 3 weeks ago. It was on sale for $10 marked down from $25. I really didn't know much about the plant when I got it. It doesn't have pitchers and doesn't look like the photo on the plant tag.
Since I'm in hot and humid South Florida, I keep it outside. It was in a hanging basket so I hung it on a low shady branch of my cherry tree.
It rains here almost every day now so it's getting plenty of moisture.
I'm wondering if the pitchers will form on it.
Rite

The Write Stuff
by ladystressout on September 19, 2006 11:06 PM
Will anyone out there share a start if not not maybe next spring with me? I will pay for the postage and handling/Rita
by angelblossom on September 20, 2006 07:33 AM
Rita I be happy to send you a start. Don't know how to package it PM me as I have a another member to send a start too and maybe we can figure out together how to package it up to get it sent!
Diane

-
 -
by ladystressout on September 21, 2006 02:09 AM
yes! I cannot wait to get a start from you now we both have to find out how to package it and send so they will not be harm?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: