The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting a terrarium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Amber J on April 08, 2006 06:06 PM
Hey Bill,

First of all, this forum is awesome! I sent you a PM but I haven't heard back, so I just wanted to state for the record that some of the info about building a terrarium is not good for carnivorous plants. In the carnivorous plant link that you put in the forum, it links to how to make a terrarium, but it seems more geared for normal plants.

Carnivorous plants need really, really acidic soil, and they need to get their nutrition from the bugs they eat which is why you shouldn't fertilize them. But, if you put a high organic-content soil in there like the link suggests, the plants will essentially be fertilized! Also I am not sure but I don't think a layer of coal should be in there either - since coal is carbon and carbon is organic, but I'm not positive about that.

Anyway I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but just so no one makes their plants sick!! [kissies]

PS - I have done a lot of research and had great success making terrariums for carnivorous plants - I even got some advice from a pro who wrote a whole website on them. I can write a really detailed guide on how to make one for the future terrarium-gardeners if you'd want!
by Bill on April 08, 2006 06:32 PM
I removed the terrarium link from the carnivor topic on the day you pm'd me...
You are absolutely correct about the acid soil. Thank you!

-
by Amber J on April 09, 2006 12:05 AM
No prob!

I didn't know you were member #1 on the site til I PM'd you, so I'm assuming you're the "main man"! LOL That leads me to believe you are probably very busy - if you need help with anything carnivorous I'm happy to help! [thumb]
by phoenix on April 09, 2006 03:48 AM
I started some mini terrariums in yankee candle house warmer candle jars. I got the idea from Martha Stewart. they are wild. the plants grow great. I'll try to post some pictures so you all can see them.

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Amber J on April 17, 2006 02:46 AM
That would be great, I'd definitely love to see those!
by angelblossom on April 18, 2006 09:57 AM
Amber Has your Pitcher plant arrived Yet??? [grin]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Amber J on April 18, 2006 10:34 PM
Hey! I was just about to post for you - it got here, it's a little small with no pitchers on it but I planted it last night. I'm thinking of leaving it there til it's bigger, then transplanting it to a hanging pot likt yours. I'm not sure though, I live in AZ and it's REALLY dry here!
by puddingned94 on May 08, 2006 09:20 AM
just keep it moist

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: