The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I need awnsers to venus fly trap questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: i need awnsers to 2 tree questions| Next thread: I need help »
Back to Thread index
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 05:10 AM
I just got a venus fly trap the other day and have a few questions. First, I live in an area with almost no humidity how can I get maximum humidity for my fly trap. Second, can fly traps eat anything other than bugs. Third, 3 out of the 8 traps on my plant that are redish green won't close though the other 5 that are all green do is it because the redish traps are about dead? and Fourth, my fly trap came in a pot that it is almost as big as should I transplant it into a bigger pot? Well those are my questions and I would be really happy if someone could awnser them.
by BeckyB on February 17, 2006 06:29 AM
quote:
can fly traps eat anything other than bugs.
I would also like to know that. I don't have a venus fly trap, but am thinking about getting one.

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by margaret e. pell on February 17, 2006 08:03 AM
Here's a very good source of information on fly-traps that also has carnivorous plants for sale. Some nice pics, too.

http://www.californiacarnivores.com/vft_growing_tips.htm

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 08:36 AM
thanks but that doesnt awnser all of my questions.
by peppereater on February 18, 2006 12:55 AM
rubberband...first, don't transplant until you get more information. The worst mistakes people make with houseplants is overwatering, overfeeding and transplanting when it's not needed.
I'll look for some good sites about flytraps...I know there are clubs of carnivorous plant collectors.
I seem to remember that flytraps need to go dormant in the winter. You may not need to feed it now. As for humidity, one quick thing you can do is get a large saucer, fill it with marbles or attractive gravel, and fill it with water. Then set the plant on that.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by peppereater on February 18, 2006 02:04 AM
Here is the Garden Helper fact page for carnivorous plants:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/carnivorous.html

This is a site that is a total resource for all aspects of carnivorous plants:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html

A quick look told me that you must not feed it meat, it only eats insects. Do not repot it. Do not get the soil soggy, but always keep it moist. Give it bright light but don't let the sun bake it. DO NOT fertilize flytraps, you'll kill them.
This site suggests ways to make simple terrariums that will keep the humidity high.

-
Dave
by rubberbandman on February 18, 2006 02:59 AM
Thanks.
by rubberbandman on February 18, 2006 03:06 AM
I don't have access to the supplies or that sort of thing for building a terrarium but until I can make one I put an unsealed plastic bag over the plant. Will that help with humidity?
by peppereater on February 18, 2006 03:11 AM
Sure, that'll help, just make sure air can circulate. one of the suggestions at the 2nd site was to cut the top and bottom off of a 2 liter bottle and set that over the plant...that way it gets plenty of air but the humidity is still elevated.

-
Dave
by rubberbandman on February 18, 2006 04:03 AM
I don't have an empty one right now but I'm almost done with a milk bottle could I do something with that and it be better than the plastic bag?
by peppereater on February 18, 2006 04:24 AM
Maybe cut off the top and set the plant in there?

-
Dave
by rubberbandman on February 18, 2006 06:11 AM
k thanks
by rubberbandman on February 18, 2006 06:55 AM
If a leaf trap that hasnt opened yet and is still small gets cut off and you plant the part that got cut off can it grow roots? [dunno]

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by margaret e. pell on February 18, 2006 09:22 AM
I've had one, which is now several, for about 3 years. I grow it in a glazed ceramic pot, in a 1:1 mixture of Canadian sphagnum peat and sand (mixed coarse and fine), sitting in a bowl of distilled water of varying depth - 1/2" to 2" below soil level (this is random, as I remember to water it, though it is consistantly lower in winter). I never feed it anything but fresh bugs, and these rarely, just when I want to play with the traps. It's outside in all summer in bright direct sun catching its own food - lots of closed traps with legs sticking out! It flowers in the summer and I nip off the buds as soon as they appear. I cut off black traps. I don't do anything to increase the humidity other than growing it/them soaking in water. This winter I left it outside in my coldframe with a bottom heat seed starting mat. It doesn't seem any better or worse than the previous winters inside close to a cold window. Basically, other than growing it in distilled water, I don't do too much extra for it and it has lived, grown, and multiplied, though it is not perhaps as luxurient as some pictures. But I like it. That's all.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by rubberbandman on February 18, 2006 09:56 AM
Thanks a whole bunch guys you've really been a big help to me, but I'll probably come up with some other questions soon.

thanks again

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by TomR on February 20, 2006 10:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rubberbandman:
I just got a venus fly trap the other day and have a few questions. First, I live in an area with almost no humidity how can I get maximum humidity for my fly trap. Second, can fly traps eat anything other than bugs. Third, 3 out of the 8 traps on my plant that are redish green won't close though the other 5 that are all green do is it because the redish traps are about dead? and Fourth, my fly trap came in a pot that it is almost as big as should I transplant it into a bigger pot? Well those are my questions and I would be really happy if someone could awnser them.
First, don't worry about the humidity right now.

Second, do NOT feed the plant ANY fertilizer, the plant will get enough bugs on it's own. NO RAW MEAT or anything.

3rd, Only use rainwater or distilled water and set the pot in a shallow container and put about an inch of water in it then place the pot in the water.

4th, do not manually trip the traps to close, they only have a limited number of open/closes, about 4-6 times. Then the trap dies. Red color in a trap means it's getting good light, green means it needs a bit more light.

You could repot it but for now I would wait in your case.

Hope that helps!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by rubberbandman on February 21, 2006 10:56 AM
thanks
by carnivorousplantsarecool on April 01, 2006 08:40 AM
I have a venus fly trap and it has been fine for a while. One thing I would make sure to do would be to make sure the insect you give the VFT is large. The plant uses a lot of stored energy to close and so giving it little bugs all the time will drain it's energy. For more info on the VFT's I would go to:http://www.botany.org/bsa/misc/carn.html

Or, if you want to learn about the closing of the trap, go to: http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/daily/2005/01/26-flytrap.html
Those websites should answer most of your questions.
by TomR on April 04, 2006 08:49 AM
Too large an insect will kill the trap. The recommendation most people give is no more than 1/3 the size of the trap or the trap will die due to bacteria from not being able to use the whole insect.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Amber J on April 05, 2006 03:33 PM
I was just about to say that (the 1/3 thing)! Also, bugs w/ wings, as they can sometimes stick out and invite fungus. Crickets are not a good idea if you are keeping them in the terrarium for an extended amount of time, since they can sometimes develop a fungus in too much moisture. Also things with tough exoskeletons (ants are OK) like beetles, and caterpillars and things can tend to chew the inside of the traps.

As far as humidity, they do best in high humidity, but it's not dire. Whatever you do, do NOT let it sit in water, it will eventually rot the roots.

I have had great success with repotting these guys, I start w/ horticultural sand and wash the silt away with distilled water. I then mix that with peat moss (NOT the enriched kind! Fertilizer is BAD!), about 1:1. I also throw in a bit of perlite for extra drainage. Once that is all mixed really well, I will put that over gravel (stay away from marble and anything with calcium), in a sterilized (with a final rinse of distilled water) terrarium. (Also stay away from polished rock, it has a tendency to peel and pollute). I usually break away the excess soil, make a hole in the soil, place the plant in and fill. To compact the sand around the roots, I water, but I use a mixture of water and SuperThrive, which is a hormone and not a fertilizer. It is excellent at keeping the plant from going into shock. Do not press with your hands! The plant should have room in the soil. The final step is to add live moss on thop of the soil, around the VFT. I then put distilled water (the ONLY kind you should use for a VFT) into a spray bottle and spray the heck out of the tank.

To answer the question about how to propagate a VFT, if you take a cutting, make sure you pull down at the leaf, getting some white from the base of the plant. You can then lay it in the soil and cover the bottome with a bit of soil.

I hope that helps!
by Amber J on April 05, 2006 03:40 PM
Oh also in answer to your question about why the traps aren't closing, it has nothing to do with their color. Sometimes traps just don't close, or they have an extremely slow response time.

The reason the traps get color inside (if it's even that type of plant) is due to bright light. If some of the traps are green, they are either not in bright enough light or they are brand new.

If you want to add humidity to it, you could try placing the plant in a fish bowl or covered tank (I think you can get em for $10 at WalMart), but be careful of anything sealed - they do require circulation, and also eventually you could suffocate the plant.
by puddingned94 on May 08, 2006 09:22 AM
youshould keep them in an enclosed jar or terrerium with lots of water

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: i need awnsers to 2 tree questions| Next thread: I need help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: