The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

East facing Iris patch needs help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Lorena on October 30, 2006 03:55 AM
Hi [Smile]

I've started working on my iris patch, it's a two ft. strip along the house on the eastern side... there is a building (woodshed) about 10 ft. directly east of the patch, so it only gets maybe 4 - 6 hours of direct sun, the rest is partial or shade. There is my herb garden directly accross from it (east) sided up to the woodshed, and it does well. My problem is, the iris patch is shaded alot from the house, and although the iris grow there, they don't bloom every year. The rhizomes are huge and in good shape, but I'm wondering if the soil needs something too. I pulled out the rogue iris that were headed under the house, lol! So I can plant something taller behind them... the 'million dollar' question is WHAT to plant there. I have a ton of stuff now, so any suggestions? I may have it already. I am a first year gardener... but am ok at starting seeds inside.

Thanks a ton [Wink]

Lorena

-
"My Treasures do not clink
together or glitter. They gleam in
the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb
by alankhart on October 30, 2006 04:27 AM
Unless you plan on either #1) digging up all the irises and moving them to a sunnier spot or #2) digging up all the irises, adding compost to the soil and replanting in the same space- then there isn't much else you can do for them since they do best with more sun and soil that drains well. As far as what to plant behind them, you could try Japanese anemone, Foxglove, Astilbe, Monkshood, Goat's Beard, Peach-leaf Bellflower, Milky Bellflower, Turtlehead, Bugbane, Lobelia, Ligularia, and/or Senecio to name a few.

-
 -
 -
by Lorena on November 01, 2006 12:58 AM
Alankhart, thanks so much for your ideas [Smile]

I've since started pulling them to trade a few, and am planning on working the soil and replanting them in small clusters. These iris have been here for at least four years if not many more and were growing very deep. I have some daylillies planted along the same side of the house more south that do fine, and lavender, dianthus and honeysuckle that's just starting. So, am now looking for daylillies and maybe hosta to help fill in the seasonal gaps with the iris. My daffodils did ok there with them last spring too. I have some alysum, and creeping lavender thyme I could add here and there too... this is fun!

Lorena

-
"My Treasures do not clink
together or glitter. They gleam in
the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb

Active Garden Forum