The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Beauty bark

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by chermoni on July 29, 2006 03:41 PM
I've been hearing some mixed things about beauty bark. The side of my house is almost completely shaded for most of the day and a couple of years ago our landlord had beauty bark put over there to make it look better. I've been thinking about getting some shade plants to plant there to make it look nice but some people have told me that beauty bark poisons the soil and I won't have much luck getting plants to survive without digging up a lot of the bark and soil and putting in new soil. Is this true or is beauty bark just for decoration? I would really like to know before I spend the money. Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions. [dunno]

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
by tkhooper on July 30, 2006 02:00 AM
My dad used beauty bark for years. It does not posion the soil. What it does is decompose just like any other mulch. So the first year you put it down it takes nitrogen out of the soil and the second year it puts the nitrogen back. So if you are going to plant over there and its had several years of beauty bark put down each year the cycle is cancelling itself out. Just pull the bark away from the planting hole, plant your plant and then use the beauty bark as a mulch. That's what it's for.

What do you plan to plant over in the shady area?

-
 -
by chermoni on July 30, 2006 04:20 AM
I haven't decided what I want to plant yet. I have to go to the nursery and see what kind of shade plants there are. I'm still very much a novice when it comes to gardening and I have no idea what type of plants are good for shade or what they look like. I have a dream of putting in some nice shade plants, maybe a swing, and a bird bath. I just want to make it look pretty over there instead of just a dirt patch that is growing a few weeds. Do you have any suggestions on plants?

I'm also thinking I should wait until next year since it is already just about august. It's fun do be able to plan for it though.

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
by tkhooper on August 01, 2006 04:05 AM
Well I think your going to get all the information you need in the other post. My first suggestion would be to stay away from Sky Nursery on 99. There stuff is high priced and it always dies on me.

And since you are starting now you could probably do seeds. Starting them indoors during the late winter/early spring and save yourself a bundle of cash that you can spend on garden/potting soil instead.

Check out the seed exchange. Many of us will send seeds for a SASE.

But you really need to check out your pH with the soil test before you begin selecting the type of plants you want.

I love the idea you have of a swing and birdbath. It sounds like it will be a great place to hang out during the summer.

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 01, 2006 01:32 PM
I love shade gardens [Love] because they seem so peaceful and relaxing. There are a lot of plants you can put in a shade garden; but, unfortunately, most do not add much color for any length of time. [Frown] This year, I learned to get over that obstacle by putting some Impatiens here and there to add color. [Wink]

Here is a picture of my shade garden last year. It had Hostas, ferns, Astilbe, Bleeding Hearts, Coral Bells, Woodruff, and Lily of the Valley.

-

quote:
I think your going to get all the information you need in the other post.
What other post TK? [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tkhooper on August 02, 2006 06:50 AM
She is the author of another post in the shade room.

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 02, 2006 11:38 AM
Thanks, Tammy! [kissies]

I didn't know what post you were talking about but now I'll go look this up! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by chermoni on August 02, 2006 12:03 PM
tkhooper-

I just had a question for you about sky nursery. That is where I have gotten almost all of my house plants. They seem to have better prices that Swansons and those are the only 2 nurseries I know of out here. Do you know of a better place?

Thanks to everyone else for all the advice. It is much appreciated.

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

by tkhooper on August 03, 2006 09:22 AM
For me I find that I'm better off starting seeds on my own. It's just that I was never lucky with Sky Nursery stuff. I tried the bleeding hearts, walking stick tree, pokadot plants and I don't know what all else there, and never had any of them survive. Even though I've picked up stuff from wal-mart, lowes, and home depot and done ok with it. So I guess it's just each person is different.

I used to live in Port Orchard so I would take the Edmonds Kingston Ferry over to dad's and back. On the Kingston side there are loads of nurseries. All off of the main road too.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: