The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

road salt resistant shade plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Roaches| Next thread: Roast Charles For The Grill Or Oven »
Back to Thread index
by ferg4 on July 08, 2006 11:04 AM
We have an area by the side of the road that is under a maple tree, lots of shade- even periwinkle didn't do well- that gets road salt as well. What would work there? Ivy was one thought and hosta, although neither one looks very nice a lot of the year. I'm not concerned with flowering, just don't want to mow grass under the tree. Thanks.
by RugbyHukr on July 08, 2006 02:38 PM
nothing will withstand road salt. it screws up the pH. try decorative gravel with some interest added. such as driftwood, large stones, etc.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on July 09, 2006 01:06 AM
What about some of the beach plants like see thrift? Don't know about their light requirement and road salt may be asking a bit much of them. What about a solid edging say about 8 inches tall. That should stop a great deal of the road salt from comming into the flower bed and give you a better chance of growing some nice plants in that area.

-
 -
by Soilmover on July 09, 2006 02:29 PM
I don't know how bad they salt the road in your area but my next door neighbor has a nice square patch (2'x2')of hostas around his mailbox. Been there for years. They seem to do great. And they are right on the edge of the road (its a gravel road). They salt & sand our steet regularly in the winter. Somehow they always come back up after the snow melts in spring. Plants are strange sometimes.
by ferg4 on July 10, 2006 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try both ivy and hosta and see what happens. We have junipers, but they stop under the tree. It's a small area, but steep. Not only do we get salt, but gravel, cinders etc.,whatever the county has that will give traction. First I have to get rid of the grass. I think I'll do the newspaper with mulch on top to keep out the grass, then put the hosta and ivy in it. We'll see. N.
by tkhooper on July 11, 2006 01:39 AM
Make sure when you do that you put a barrier around the tree so the mulch isn't touching it and the air can get to it. Trees get sick if you mulch several inches around their trunks.

And good luck with your landscaping project.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Roaches| Next thread: Roast Charles For The Grill Or Oven »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: