The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I need ideas please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: I need house plant help!| Next thread: I need milkweed! »
Back to Thread index
by plantingnewb on June 04, 2006 08:20 AM
I'm redoing an area in my front yard and I need some ideas from a more experienced planter. We pulled out some bushes, dug out the gravel and plastic. We put up landscaping bricks and added dirt from another part of our yard along with grass clipping, peat moss and maybe some topsoil. The dirt seems claylike, hardly no worms.
Anyways I need ideas for shade bushes/plants preferrably ones that flower.
Here are some pics of the area.
Tammy
front middle of house

new section

new section
by joclyn on June 04, 2006 06:51 PM
hydrangea, some clematis like shade, lily of the valley, hosta, ferns (they don't really flower tho)
by twwright on June 04, 2006 11:37 PM
I completely agree with the previous suggestions! [clappy] There are several varieties of hydrangea in my shady spot along with hostas, japanese aralia, various forms of ferns, caladiums in 3 colors and variegations and assorted flowering annuals for color. I do have times of sunlight so I have tried flowers that usually require sun and they have worked well for now, I.E. moss rose, portulaca, larkspur and stock. These were grown from seed then transplanted into the shady spot. We recently felt brave (or stupid) and planted a Banana Tree
and Elephant Ears. Although the Elephant Ears call for full sun they are working very well for now. I hope this gives you some more ideas. Oh yeah, Impatiens too. Another area with partial sun to full sun I am growing some Spider Plants, also known as Cleome. These are fabulous! [Cool] I had concerns about fertilizers for my shady area and settled on something that works well. I went to Lowes and bought a one gallon container of Compost Tea Concentrate since I don't enough finished compost right now, a gallon of Horticultural Molasses and a bag of Earthworm Castings. I mix them together and use a pond pump to aerate the mixture. The idea here is to get a lot of oxygen into the mixture and extract nutrients from the earthworm castings. In a five gallon bucket or larger I mix all this up and can fertilize 3 ways. Pour it directly onto the soil and foliage, Pour it into a sprayer and mist the leaves with it for a good foliar feeding and last, put it in a hose end sprayer. I have fertilized my lawn this last way and my lawn just took off! My flowering plants bloomed within a few days and my rose plants grew more blossoms than ever before. (30 [flower] buds in a week!) It is so amazing how natural products like these work so much better than synthetic fertilizers. Good luck and good gardening! [thumb]
by mizzeliz on June 05, 2006 02:45 AM
If you want some Lily of the Valley for your area. I will send you some. 26 years ago I started with about 12 plants and now I have thousands. I have already mailed some to other people, and they arrived safely. I need to thin these things out.
Yes I said pink. The flowers turn a light lavender when they go by. The foliage will stay green all summer long. I was told not to plant them next to the white, so I never have. I live in western Massachusetts so we have similar growing patterns.

There are ferns and wild violets growing with them too.
If you want plants just email me a private message with your name and address so that I can get them out to you. Hope to hear from you soon.

May you be Blessed with the Love of Jesus today and always
by plantingnewb on June 05, 2006 03:43 AM
Wow, thanks for all the ideas.
I did notice that the area does get some a.m. sun.
I will probably try some part sun plants also.

Twwright- In another post,(worm farm) I asked for advice on this area not having many worms. I was given advice on how to enrich my soil with organic matter, then to add worms. I was adviced not to plant in this area for 3 months. [sleepy]
What do you think about that?

Mizzeliz- I tink I have Lily of the Valley on the side of my house with white flowers. Do you have any pics of them?
by plantingnewb on June 26, 2006 05:48 PM
I finally bought some plants. [clappy]
I got Bergenias, Helleborus, Boxwoods, Burning bush and Euonymus(Emerald Gaiety)
Also might add some annuals for more color, once we are done planting.
Does anyone know if clematis will grow in full shade? Will it climb my 2 thick railings or should I just plant it for the thin railings. I have never done a vine. Should I do every other railing or just a couple. How do I start it? Will it need to be 'trained' (is that the right word)
Sometimes I think I have no idea what I'm doing. [dunno]
I really appreciate all this advice.
I'm learning so much from this site & all of you guys. [teacher]
Thanks,
Tammy
by cinta on June 27, 2006 11:08 AM
Honeysuckle would be nice for fragrance and it will grow in shade.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by plantingnewb on June 28, 2006 03:08 PM
I have thought about Honeysuckle.
I love the smell, but I didn't know it grew in the shade.
Thanks for the idea.
Tammy
by plantingnewb on July 06, 2006 06:51 AM
Yesterday I planted two honeysuckle vines.
I hope they will climb my porch railings
Tammy
by netwiz on July 06, 2006 07:43 AM
Hi Tammy,

I have honeysuckle growing in part shade and it does very well... too well actually. I hope to pull most of it out as it has taken over. It's a shame I didn't see this post earlier, I would have been happy to send you as many free vines as you want. If you need any more just let me know. We have the white and yellow kinds.

Joanne
by dfrench200 on July 06, 2006 08:24 AM
I know you have already planted but I thought I would add one of my favorites. I love toad lily because many varieties have upright growth and would add some nice textural contrast to the plants you mentioned above. In addition they have unusual orchid like blooms in the fall. Just my 2 cents...

Doug
Northern VA
by plantingnewb on July 07, 2006 04:56 PM
Thanks for the idea.
I don't know that I have seen them before.
I did a search and found out that they are hardy to zone 5-8 and I am 4 (I think)
Maybe that is why?
Tammy
by plantingnewb on July 07, 2006 05:06 PM
Ok I guess I don't know what I am talking about.
Some are hardy to zone 4. Sorry [Embarrassed]
I guess I just don't remember seeing them at the flower shops. I'll take a look.
Tammy

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: I need house plant help!| Next thread: I need milkweed! »
Back to Thread index