The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Shade Garden in April (pics), trim ideas needed.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Pianolady on April 29, 2006 07:31 AM
I have two large maples and a walnut tree in a row on my property, so I deal with lots of shade.

This section gets part sun in the section at the bottom half of the photo.
 -

The big picture of the shady side of the back yard...
 -

I used to have bamboo trim along all the gardens. It was so nice, but it didn't hold up well at all. Any ideas what I could use for edging that wouldn't be terribly expensive? I'm not sure I'd like a brick edging, but need something that will hold up well in a zone 4b climate, can make a nice curve, and can handle a lawnmower butting up against it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Here's the trim that just fell apart, the photo is awful because my camera was broken that year.

-

-
by SpringFever on April 29, 2006 09:44 AM
Very pretty!! nice job!Pianolady!!! [thumb]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Wrennie on April 30, 2006 01:36 AM
red cedar logs stood up on end
Or stones

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by tkhooper on April 30, 2006 06:35 AM
The dollar store had some wire edging last year that was pretty cheap. And it's flexible so it would handle the lawnmower and the curved shape ok. It doesn't show up much would that be a problem?

-
 -
by Pianolady on April 30, 2006 01:05 PM
I had such a large area to border, I decided to try trench edging. I cut a 6" wide trench 3" deep, and filled it with mulch. At least I have a dividing line now where the grass is supposed to end, and the garden start. That will make weeding much easier.

After pic

-
by SpringFever on May 01, 2006 03:02 PM
Nice Job looks great ... Boy you have a big yard

-
 -
by Pianolady on May 01, 2006 04:24 PM
Thanks SpringFever. I have my parents to thank for that. While neighbors sold off their extra lots for development, my folks refused. Good for them! We purchased this house from my parents, and they moved to a new one (they needed a one-level home), and I get to live in my childhood home.

-
by SpringFever on May 02, 2006 01:41 AM
That is great !!! What a score .. did you keep your old room?Hahaa .. I wouldn't wanna mow that lawn though..at least not with my push mower..
I love all the old fashion style flowers black eyed susan ect...  -

-
 -
by Michael15r on May 02, 2006 03:02 PM
Now that's an awesome landscape!
I'm truely amazed!
Great work you've got Pianolady!
I'd love to see much more!

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by Triss on May 03, 2006 11:05 AM
What a stunnig yard! I love the new trim you did!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by dodge on May 05, 2006 02:59 AM
Can you get free rocks anywhere? I use lots of that ..But our meadows are loaded with rocks.

However the grass around trim is a problem.. You will see .

You did lots an lots of planting.. Nice.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Pianolady on May 05, 2006 04:24 AM
Yes, I can get free rocks, but it's about a 3 hours' drive, and I have to roam the countryside looking for gravel road construction through the hillsides (takes lots of gas).

They leave the rocks along the road for the taking, and they'll let you pick them up if you are in a county where that is allowed. But, nothing locally, and I'll need a lot of them. I can buy them locally for $.15 per pound.

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: