The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

looking for ideas...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by joclyn on April 26, 2006 11:45 AM
for my neighbor.

he wants to cover up the other neighbors fence - it's one of those tall (eight feet) wooden things that completely blocks the view.

the problem is, the area that is plantable is narrow - only a couple of feet wide due to the driveway AND it's mostly shade - only gets a few hours of sunlight in mid-late afternoon.

he wants tall things (the fence is pretty ugly!) and has tried a few different things - some haven't worked at all and others are slow growing. he's got a dog too and i think she's aggravating the situation by using part of the area as her toilet.

okay. he's got a holly bush and a burning bush...they've been in for 2 years and are finally starting to take off. he's also got a couple of nice rosebushes...they don't really cover the fence too well tho.

last year he put in some type of bamboo. i forget the name of that particular one - it's not really hardy to this area and he didn't know that - it only survived the winter because it was really mild this year. he'll have to cover it next fall. that seems to be doing okay.

anyone have any ideas? he doesn't want all the same thing - or he'd just have gone with the burning bush...plain shrubs or something flowering - he doesn't care! the shade is the problem...i can only come up with hydrangea - and i don't think that will get tall enough!

thanks!!
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 02:48 PM
Tryin to think this is a tough one a shade vine hmmm flowering shade vines Just looked it up I hope it helps!?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by tkhooper on April 27, 2006 12:35 AM
Here are some possibilities for your neighbor. I didn't check the growing zone but they will take the shade and do have good height.

Acanthopanax sieboldiana 'Variegatus'-Acanthopanax
Acer circinatum-Maple, Vine
Actaea racemosa-Black Cohosh
Actaea simplex-Bugbane
Astilbe c. 'Superba'-False Spirea
Astilboides tabularis-Astilboides
Athyrium filix-femina-Lady Fern, Uncrested
Chasmanthium latifolium-Northern Sea Oats
Corylopsis sinensis-Chinese Winter Hazel
Fuchsia magellanica-Fuchsia, Hardy
Mahonia aquifolium-Oregon Grape
Matteuccia struthiopteris 'The King'-Jumbo Ostrich Fern
Polygonatum commutatum-Solomon's Seal, Great

-
 -
by kyjoy on April 27, 2006 05:05 AM
Aboritae.
by joclyn on April 27, 2006 03:19 PM
thanks!! i'll give him the list - i'm sure he'll find something that he'll like!
by Ian Naysmith on June 05, 2006 10:56 PM
Passion flower vines, passiflori. Quite beautiful and hearty.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: