The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Shade garden Pics

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: my shade area needs help!| Next thread: My Shade garden Pics »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 3 1
by tj on April 05, 2006 05:42 AM
We live in Gold Hill (between medford and grants pass). About 6 blocks away from the Rogue River (as the crow fly's).
I like your idea about the morning glory's, I had some of those once and they were so pretty! I really like the picture that Weezi has of that morning glory unbrella she has, that is awesome!

I'm going to go get our Flowers tomorrow to plant in front of our front deck, yayyyyy! I have a list about a mile long but the first on it is the Columbine, those are beautiful.
by weezie13 on April 05, 2006 06:09 AM
quote:
I really like the picture that Weezi has of that morning glory unbrella she has, that is awesome!
I got that planted reallllllllly late.. Of course [Roll Eyes] and I needed bigger containers/pots at the legs and base of the umbrella, the one's I had were too small to get a good root system for them, but it was cute what did grow....

And the darn woodchuck loved them too much and gave them haircuts like 3 times.. Grrrrrrrr!!!

I if I can ever get out there to get my seeds started, I will try to do that early..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tj on April 05, 2006 06:16 AM
Right on Weezie, I want to see pics of it when you get it all growing up top. I bet it's even prettier then I have pictured in my head.
by SpringFever on April 05, 2006 09:24 PM
I was born in Grants Pass my mom still lives there.. and my dad lives in medford LOL how funny...miss the mountains there...
Any how I was thinking of getting some bamboo posts and twining them together to make an arbor type thing. I am sure my boys will wreck it though

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by tj on April 06, 2006 11:40 AM
That sounds cool........take it from me, I raised 2(boy and girl-both grown now:) ) and I would just threaten to take away their video games and they were pretty darn good!! LOL
by SpringFever on April 06, 2006 12:10 PM
LOL I have 3 boys 11,4,&almost 2 give me a run for my money thats for sure!! I am sure it will be a short lived arbor [shocked] [nutz] [shocked] [scaredy] [devil]

-
 -
by Triss on April 06, 2006 12:19 PM
Great pics in this topic! Love all of the flowers!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by SpringFever on April 06, 2006 01:02 PM
Thanks triss I was dreaming of spring and posted this... can't wait till summer !!!

-
 -
by Triss on April 06, 2006 01:12 PM
I am ready for my first blooms too!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 06, 2006 01:18 PM
I hear ya... actually thinking this year of trying to propagate it and send it to my friends.. all the great leader vines... [thinker]

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 06, 2006 01:24 PM
Where did you re-locate to washington from Triss?

-
 -
by Triss on April 06, 2006 01:26 PM
We were in Nebraska before this and California before that. I have also lived in Colorado and Delware as a kid.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 06, 2006 09:16 PM
wow you have been around the states huh..
I lived in wa. when I was a little wee one.. It is pretty there..lots of rain,trees,flowers.. I remember I always tried to transplant the ferns from the woods to give to mom they always died!!

-
 -
by Triss on April 07, 2006 02:41 AM
I just transplanted a fern that Bill gave me. So far it is doing well and starting to unfold its stems. It is pretty cool.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 07, 2006 01:32 PM
LOL I lived in The Dalles,Oregon dry as a bone area they fried!!!!
Actually a pretty area if you are not to far north take a day trip down the george area... Hood River, Cascade locks, beautiful drive and lots of places to stop and look around...
I used to take a drive around the back of mount hood there is this town called rhodedendron FULL of the shrubs just beautiful in the spring.

-
 -
by Triss on April 08, 2006 01:49 AM
I remember going through the Dalles when we drove here. Loved going along the river and seeing the big dam in that area. It is on my list of places to go this summer on a weekend drive.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 08, 2006 05:45 AM
My dad works there.. At The Dalles Dam... Hate the town though... If my parents didn't live there I would never go back!!
It is a pretty drive by the river though!

-
 -
by Triss on April 09, 2006 06:07 AM
That is cool your dad works at the dam. Do they do tours? And how often do you get back?

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 09, 2006 10:20 PM
In the spring summer they do... They used to have a train that took you through thinking I heard my dad say it they quit using it.. but the tour itself is awsome if you plan on going make sure you take a lunch for the park at the end of the tour.. used to be nice but haven't been there since I was 12.(OMG that was 20 years ago lol).. last time i got back wow its been a while now 4 years now I will call my dad and ask about the train..

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 09, 2006 10:24 PM
ohh and do you like Rodeo's there is a lot of great ones around there too...

-
 -
by Triss on April 10, 2006 12:40 AM
I have been to a couple of rodeos. I know I want to take the kiddos to at least one of them cuz it is an experience that everyone should have. They are a lot of fun!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 10, 2006 07:47 AM
Yeah they are.. There is so many things to do there if you are willing to drive the extra miles. All so different and unique!!

-
 -
by Triss on April 10, 2006 08:34 AM
We are definitely drivers. We enjoy piling all the kids in the car on a Saturday morning and not coming back until Sunday night. We want to do that as often as we can in the summers now that we are in a place where there are things to see again!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 10, 2006 08:25 PM
what part of washington do you live in? I lived in Tacoma, Camus (smelly paper mill) Then we moved to The Dalles. I know mostly the areas in Oregon but a couple in washington my Grandparents used to have a cabin on Long beach Wa I know there is a cute amusement park there. [grin]

-
 -
by Triss on April 11, 2006 12:17 AM
We live near Chehalis, just about an hour south of Tacoma.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 11, 2006 12:40 AM
I've been throu there before so you are quite a bit north of where I used to live... I was only 4 when I lived in tacoma.. don't remember much except for my dad taking us fishing in pugent sound..He caught an octopus and put it in a can for us to play with!!
Ithink it is getting kinda close to The Rose Festival Parade in Portland... All the floats are made with flowers very cool.. You should check it out if Possible and best of all its free!! Some where in portland there is also a beautiful japanese garden open to the public it is amazing... would be a great weekend outing. [thumb] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by Triss on April 11, 2006 12:45 AM
The Japanese gardens are near the zoo. I took the kiddos to the zoo when we went to visit Sarah a while back and I am planning on going back to see the gardens once they are in full bloom. Kids loved the zoo too and also want to do the kids museum there.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 11, 2006 12:55 AM
It is a great Zoo I miss it!! I love the way they put all the animals in a Kinda garden pathway fitting to the area they came from.. I remember the gorilla hated me and everytime I would go by he would start beating on the glass.. Scared the crud out of me.. It is so cold here the zoo is not that great very small almost inhumane..
way down by roseburg there is a wild life safari that you drive through it is pretty cool...

-
 -
by Triss on April 11, 2006 01:07 AM
Patty told me about that one too. I am pretty sure we have been there but it has been years and none of the wee ones have seen that. So that is on our list of things to do as well.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 11, 2006 02:24 AM
Hmm what else... the sea Lyon caves...
Kahneeta warm springs really cool to see the Indian dances and ceremonies have a few uncles there , layman Hot springs,omsi,Ohh white water rafting on the deschuttes River one of my favorites!! Great family fun at least for the older of kids.. I used to live right near there in a super small town called maupin.. used to raft all summer long!! oh there is also a ghost town called sp? Shanico which is really cool..Ohh and don't forget to climb to the top of sp? multnoma falls or at least to the second bridge.. [thumb]

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 11, 2006 02:35 AM
 -

-
 -
by Triss on April 11, 2006 05:02 AM
WOW, that is awesome!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 11, 2006 06:24 AM
it is a little east of portland!! by cascade locks.. oh they have a fish hatchery close to there too where kids can feed the fish. Helps with the cost of maintenance..

-
 -
by Triss on April 11, 2006 11:53 AM
That is not too far at all.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 11, 2006 07:55 PM
By the way how is your gardening going? I just got the rest of my yard cleaned out... the tulips and daf's are starting to bloom here..I noticed some of my lilies starting to peak out as well [clappy] [clappy] [flower]

-
 -
by Triss on April 12, 2006 01:40 AM
Going slow. The seeds I spread a couple weeks ago are sprouting. I just cannot find the paper where I put exactly what seeds went where. I am sure it is on my desk somewhere. I have another section of the garden cleared out so that is good and I can lay seeds there now too once I find that paper. Next step is to clear the place where the stones will go to get to the water spout so I do not have to walk over plants to get to it.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 12, 2006 04:15 AM
Sounds Great!! I am still trying to get all the acorns out of my grass!! I raked 2 big bags of pine needles out on Sunday, Stopped by home depot and it must be spring cause I found a bunch of petunia's that I plan on putting in tomorrow.. I just noticed my morning glory's,moonflower and marigolds have sprouted,so pretty soon I am really going to have some work to do!! Oh and I dug a new area in my front yard where nothing but dirt seems to grow (the only corner that gets full sun) and Planted.. 3 hybiscus,3 Russian sage,3 day lily's,orange glory flowers and some madden pinks I hope it turns out well!! I also planted 2 purple hydrangias by my front entry way..I think that is all.. It was fun though!! [thumb]

-
 -
by Triss on April 12, 2006 10:16 AM
Sounds nice. I am going to go get a few plants from the nursery this week to give my area some color while I wait for other stuff to grow. But mostly I like doing from seed. SO much fun and so rewarding to do it from scratch so to speak.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 12, 2006 07:30 PM
I am OK at seeds as long as I start them in the house.My house started out like yours!!! NOTHING at all except for a couple scrubby shrubs most of which I pulled out. oh and that lily of the valley I removed it cause it was intruding into the grass!

-
 -
by Triss on April 13, 2006 12:57 AM
It is fun starting from scratch though. So much potential!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 13, 2006 01:43 AM
It is a lot of fun! also a lot of work! I will keep pluckin away little by little,pretty soon I will have the garden of my dreams!! At least you had grass when you moved I had the incredible dust bowl LOL !!

-
 -
by Triss on April 13, 2006 02:36 AM
Well this may not yet be the garden of my dreams, since we are just renting but I am certainly not going to let it continue to look so bland and ugly! I do love having the grass so the kids can play!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 13, 2006 08:00 PM
I love the picture of the weeping tree what is it?
I think we finally have the grass estblished here which is good now that the littles are big enough to play out side!

-
 -
by Triss on April 14, 2006 05:08 AM
It is a weeping birch. It is now leafing out. Looks so pretty!

-

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 14, 2006 06:43 AM
Really is pretty!! looks great even with no leaves.. I want to get a harry lauders walking stick.. seen them on ebay for approx 20 bucks including shipping but a little scared to buy living things from there!!
I have too many trees in my small little yard 8 pine and 5 oak so something small would be great!

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 14, 2006 06:49 AM
That is a very pretty tree Triss!! [thumb] [Cool]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by SpringFever on April 14, 2006 07:04 AM
Hi weezie do you know if anyone has had luck on ebay?
I have gotten a lot of things never flowers and such! [dunno]

-
 -
by Triss on April 14, 2006 07:10 AM
Bill has a beautiful walking stick tree. I want one bad. They are way cool!

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 14, 2006 07:11 AM
I haven't, only know one person here, that does it, but it's not with plants..
Garage sale stuff..

But Mary Reboakely sells stuff, maybe if she passed thru..

But there should be some here that do it...
***I think there was a post about ebay awhile back, not sure where it is, but if you do a GOOGLE search at the top or a forum search..
might fine tune it down for you to find it...

Or start a post on it, and ask, that may be your best bet....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by SpringFever on April 14, 2006 07:15 PM
Thanks A bunch!! I will do that!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: my shade area needs help!| Next thread: My Shade garden Pics »