The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Miniature rose is dying!?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Cricket on July 15, 2004 12:31 AM
I have a miniature rose potted with a clematis and some ground covers. It has been doing very well until a few days ago. Suddenly, after a heavy rainstorm, the leaves are shriveling and dying, although it is still in bloom. A few of the leaves show insect damage but not more than it has been all summer. I have been feeding it rose food regularly. The conditions under which I have been caring for it haven't changed but my beautiful bush appears to be dying. I have pruned back some of the most effected branches but am wondering what else I can do.
by grandma on July 16, 2004 03:55 AM
Hi Cricket.
I hear you are having trouble with mini roses.I am in Canada and have nini roses about 24. I have mine planted in the flower beds. I am not sure but I think you are fertilizing to often. I just do that every two weeks with a rose fertilizer. For the bugs I use cygon 2e mixed in water and sprayed on the plants. This will last for about two weeks. I hope this helps you with your roses.
[wayey] [wayey] sore muscles

sore muscles
by Cricket on July 17, 2004 01:55 AM
Thanks, Grandma. I am fertilizing with Miracle Grow for Roses about every 2 weeks. I have two other potted mini roses that are doing great on the same fertilizing schedule and the one I am having difficulty with was doing well until a few days ago. Since pruning back the worst of the branches, it seems to have stabilized for the moment and I am hoping the plant recovers.
by manx on July 20, 2004 02:01 PM
perhaps a larger pot or plant in the ground.they seem to do well against fences or something similar.

m.g.bloom
by ta on July 20, 2004 04:20 PM
Some ground covers can be very invasive. Maybe it is just getting choked out. Are your other ones planted the same way??
by Cricket on July 21, 2004 06:57 AM
My other mini roses are also potted but with baby's breath. The one I am having difficulty with is in a 20 inch pot with clematis, lamb's ear and sedum. I did notice today the pot has some sow bugs - would they be harming my rose and how do I get rid of them?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: